Can I take a Valium a few days before my mommy makeover surgery?

My anxiety has been through the roof. I can't sleep, it seems like I am a nervous wreck. I have a prescription for Valium from my surgeon. Would it be ok to take a half of a Valium just to calm my anxiety?

Pre op, painful anxiety

Hi Vosk31Anxiety before a large operation is normal.Think of your upcoming experience as a partnership with your surgeon. You need to communicate with your surgeon.  Do not take anything without his OK, do not fail to do anything he tells you to do.  Therefore, I would strongly urge you to call his office and inform him of the situation.  Be sure that what you take now will not interfere with surgery/healing.  Also, you might want to request something for your nerves to take before leaving for the hospital.
Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Yes, you can, but let your surgeon know

I prescribe all my patients Valium (diazepam) to have for use before and after their surgery. I think it is a reasonable thing to use to calm your nerves and make sure you go into your surgery well rested. However, I would always encourage you to let your surgeon know your concerns and anxieties as often patients have questions they didn't ask or something else they are worried about that once they get an explanation, makes all well again. That is why good communication between yourself and your surgeon is paramount.

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. This is something that you need to discuss directly with your surgeon. he will make you feel at ease and make a good pre op plan for you. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible.  I would suggest that you discuss your question about taking Valium to calm your nerves with your surgeon.

I ask my patients  to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery;  this “calmness"  tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some  pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.
Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their  recovery  is completed.
 I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Can you take a Valium prior to your surgery?

My answer would likely be yes. I don't see a problem with half a Valium to calm your nerves.  However, I would definitely recommend checking with your plastic surgeon prior to doing so.  I'm sure you have chosen your surgeon because you are comfortable with him and confident in his work.  Just relax and have trust in him.  I'm sure you will do great.  Best of luck!

Anti anxiety meds prior to surgery

Valium alone is a pretty safe med that is commonly taken around the surgical time but it's always best to check with your surgeon prior to taking any meds leading up to your procedure 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Valium Pre-op

Thanks for your question.  It is not unreasonable to request medication to relax you prior to major surgery.   However, only your surgeon should advise you what would be acceptable in his/her experience.  

Thank you for your question. I usually recommend anxiety medication on some of my patients before their procedures. I would suggest to talk to your surgeon about this.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety Medications days before surgery

Thanks for a great question.  Your anxiety and nervousness is very common with patients that have upcoming surgeries.  I would recommend you call your Plastic Surgeon and ask for his/her advice regarding taking the Valium or they may recommend a different medication.  It is important to discuss any medications, supplements, and vitamins that you take with your surgeon to make sure there aren't any interactions with the prescriptions you will be taking after surgery.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - taking valium for anxiety

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • For your own safety, you should never get advice on taking a medicine except from the doctor who gave you the prescription.
  • So please contact your surgeon's office on  how to deal with your anxiety before your surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS