Can I have ice chips before surgery?

My mouth gets very dry at night and in the morning. I know I'm not allowed anything after midnight. I just want something to wet my throat. So is it safe to have a few ice chips?

Preparing for surgery

Thank you for asking about your cosmetic surgery.
A sip or two of water is often allowed these days but you should have NOTHING to eat or drink, including ice chips, the morning of surgery UNLESS the anesthesiologist gives you permission to do so during the pre-operative phone consultation. Otherwise, you risk a really unpleasant surprise - your surgery being cancelled. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Can I have ice chips before surgery?

It's a good question. Make sure to check with your surgeon, or anesthesiologist, for exact recommendations. Typically a small amount of ice chips is not a big deal. It's also affected by what time your surgery is within the day (morning, afternoon).

Ice chips

it might be OK, depending upon how long you have before surgery that morning. I would talk about this with your surgeon and especially the anesthesiologist.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Can I have ice chips before surgery?

Thank you for your question, the most important is the instructions from your surgeon depending on the time of your surgery. check with your surgeon for advice before your surgery date.

Ice Chips in the Morning

Thank you for your question, and I would have to agree with most of the others. While it is essential not to have anything to eat or drink after midnight, it should likely not be a problem to wet your mouth and throat with a couple of ice chips or sips of water. It would be best to confirm the allowance of this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Good luck!

Ice chips before surgery

Thank you for your question.  Usually, a few ice chips is not a big deal depending on what time your surgery is.  Be sure to check with your surgeon if this is ok.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Your anesthesiologist will tell you of ice chips are okay before mommy makeover surgery.

Most anesthesiologist would not have a problem having a patient consume a few ice chips before a general anesthetic. Nevertheless assessed to be cleared with your own anesthesiologist.

Pre op

You should have nothing to eat or drink, including ice chips, prior to surgery.  If an exception is to be made it will have to come with consent from your surgeon and/or anesthesiologist.  Please note, they are not trying to be "mean" and torture you.  This guideline is for your safety during surgery.

Camille Cash, MD

Absolutely not

Dry mouth is not a reason to put yourself at risk for aspiration pneumonia which at the very least will complicate your recovery and at the worst can be fatal.

Ice chips

Ask your surgeon or better yet ask the anesthesia provider whom will be performing your anesthesia. A few ice chips usually are not a big problem as they pass through the stomach very quickly, ASA guidelines for clear liquids released in 2016 is 2 hours. The old school safe answer would be to not have anything past midnight, but depending on when your surgery is scheduled, this just isn't simply true, best to ask your anesthesia provider.