Hair transplant without meds? (Photo)

In my 50's. Minoxidil caused allergic reaction. Propecia not worth the risk to me. Is it worth it to get a hair transplant if I don't take meds?

Hair transplantation

Thank you for the photo.  Most men that I see will have tried and either given up or failed Propecia.  Rogaine, for most men, is a "hassle".  Thus, a large portion of men that see me for hair transplantation are on no meds.  Some will have tried PRP, but that has its limitations.  I recommend that if you decide to push forward with a hair transplant, is to look at FUE alternatives such as NeoGraft that can avoid the linear scar.  

Hair Transplant Without Med?

Yes if you transplant from the "safe zone", that rim of hair from just above the ears, forming a horseshoe shape as it curves around the back of the scalp to the other side... the hair from this area will grow and without the need for medications.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

No meds

Are required for a hair transplant.  The hair meds help overall retention of hair but do not affect the actual transplant itself.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

There is no absolute requirement to take medications. Many patients have surgery without taking Propecia or Rogaine.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant without meds

Regarding your minoxidil allergy, most likely you are sensitive to propylene glycol which is a common solvent for minoxidil solutions.  There are solutions that are devoid of this. 

However, based on the photo provided, you would be a good candidate for restoration as your hair loss pattern is somewhat slowly progressing and stable.  You have wavy hair which covers more than straight hair and gives a fuller appearance, and donor region should be adequate if you have not had prior procedures. 

Minoxidil allows any hair to grow thicker and longer but would not be "necessary" for a transplant, your dominant donor hairs grow regardless.  However, for future planning, the scalp hair you currently have could miniaturize over time requiring a second procedure to reinforce without preventative meds. 

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Dr Alba Reyes

Yes , you can for sure. Since you are above 45 you can decide to just do surgery without the post op use of Minoxidil o Propcia. Best of luck    

Alba Reyes, MD
Dominican Republic Hair Restoration Surgeon

59 year old is considering a hair transplant

Yes, a hair transplant for the crown is a great solution. I had a similar balding crown area and received transplants and now I have hair. I was 50 when I had my first hair transplant.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplant onjy

Hair transplants have been done for 65 years without supporting medications. Resultd might be opyimized eith meds. But not necessarily. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon