Most hair loss is on the crown. How many grafts would I need? (Photo)

Most hair loss is on the crown. How many grafts would I need? 54 year old

How many grafts for crown?

Hi, aquanda--You should be evaluated in person by a hair loss expert who can determine whether your situation represents garden variety androgenetic alopecia, or perhaps may be caused by another condition that would not respond to hair transplantation. Assuming you are deemed a good candidate for the procedure, I would think that you should have a nice result with about 1600-2000 grafts. (The patient in the photos below – see link – had 1696 grafts.) A 54 y/o man with a moderate sized area of isolated hair loss in the crown should not need to undergo a scalp reduction. Micropigmentation is always an option, as would be a 2nd transplant to add density if desired, but I'd give it 10-12 months to see your final result before you make any decision about that.
Thanks for your question--hope this was helpful.Dr. Ballon

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crown

An in person consult is a good idea, but it looks like 1500g could do the job in something like this.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

How many grafts?

The most important thing is to make sure this represents genetic hair loss and not another type of hair loss. It's actually not clear from the photos if this is only genetic hair loss.  If it is, the area is approx 36-40 sq cm which means 1400-1600 grafts should do nicely.

You need an examination for a recommendation that fits with your realistic expectations.

You need an examination for a recommendation that fits with your realistic expectations.  You can probably have 1000 to 2000 grafts but it will not be your orginial hair density and you will still notice some thinning.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Most hair loss is on the crown. How many grafts would I need?

Thank you for posting your question and photo. From the looks of the picture, it looks like you can use anywhere from 2500 to 3000 grafts. Normally, the crown size is 153 cm squared, and with density of atleast 20  to 25 grafts per cm, it can easily use roughly around 3000 grafts, plus the difference of what is already there, and what is needed. Thank you again.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crown hair loss?

A scalp  reduction  in your crown if the scalp is loose will decrease the number of grafts you require by more than 50%. See a very experienced scalp reduction surgeon for an evaluation. 

Crown Hair Loss

This is what I had, and I received 2700 grafts in the crown which is now full. The crown area you showed is large.but the number of grafts can be reduced when you combined scalp micropigmentation with it. See below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon