Goretex infection: should I have the goretex out and wait before revision surgery? or should it be replaced right away? (photo)
Doctor Answers 6
Goretex infection: should I have the goretex out and wait before revision surgery? or should it be replaced right away?
Thanks for your question.
If there is any infection, then the Goretex needs to be removed and nothing else placed back until the infection is under control. Cartilage placed into a contaminated pocket could be absorbed rapidly.
Your surgeon is correct that collagen scar tissue will replace the 1mm height of the Goretex sheet with time.
If you need more dorsal augmentation, you can come back in a year and use a cartilage graft more safely at that time.
I hope this helps.
Treating infected Goretex in the nose
I would agree that skin changes (redness, small vessels) on the bridge of the nose indicate inflammation that may be a smoldering infection. If this is the case, you should start antibiotics and the Goretex implant should come out.
Before surgery, you should have a discussion with your surgeon. A decision needs to be made during surgery. If there is active infection or the skin is damaged, you may need to wait for it to heal before correcting any lost height. If things look great, you have the potential to replace the lost height immediately with rib. If there is no height loss, you may not need a replacement graft.
This is a discussion between you and your surgeon. With a clear plan you can have a safer surgery and better outcome.
You might also like...
Best of luck
Goretex in Nose
Possible Gore-Tex problem after rhinoplasty.
All the best,
Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.