Facelift option when I'm 26? (Photo)

hi! I don't like the skin on my chicks aroundmy mouth (don`t know the actual term for that area), but i`m only 26. I already have radiesse and i like it and want to do buccial fat removal. Is there any option for my skin to look tighter and younger? I heard about thread but not sure what it is.

Marionette shadows in front of fullness of the lower cheek. A facelift will not help that.

Hi Sashaspmm,

A facelift is not an option at this point.  Facelifts on very young people like yourself, will result in no improvement and only facelift scars to show for it.  

Facelifts are for loose sagging skin.  Young faces can have irregular contours which appear to be sagging, but is actually not sagging.  Many young people as well as old will have a small bulge of fullness just above the outside of the corner of the mouth.  Even a very tight facelift will not flatten out that bulge.  Depending if the cause is partially contributing from the buccal fat, that may help, but may not achieve the desired result.  

The cause of the bulge is due to an anatomic structure called the modiolus, which is a collection of muscles which are all overlapping at the corner of the mouth to help lift, pull back or lower the corners of the mouth depending on your emotions.  

Please see the web reference for a description of the modiolus of the face.  There are 8 muscles which control the corner of the mouth.  Even if each muscle edge is very thin when they are all stacked on top of each other, there can be some bulk to that area.

One option is to add volume below the lower lip to make the chin area and marionette area fuller and brighter.  This can make the volume of chin below the lower lip match up better with the modiolus area.  

I have tried using facelifting techniques to try to flatten out that bulge.  Liposuction won't get it.  Buccal fat reduction is a possibility, but too much buccal fat removal can be aging in itself, and cause the skin of the cheeks to become looser.

Don't bother with Contour Threadlifts, which was recalled in April of 2007 (Google it).  There were numerous complaints and when the results looked good, they did not last more than a year.

Young skin is firmer not, tighter.  When pinching the skin it is firm and thick, not tight like a drum.  Try squeezing cheeks on a child.  Firm not tight.

Hope that adds some additional insight along with my colleagues.

Dr. Yang

P.S. If you find my answers or other doctors answers to questions are helpful, please +1 those answers to push up the better answers to the top, which helps others who read the same post, get to the more helpful answers first.

P.P.S. There is a new feature on Realself, which is the "Follow" button. It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new reviews.

Too young for a facelift

At your age and looking at your pic, I feel you do not have enough lower face and neck skin laxity or jowls to warrant a facelift- which is a good thing for you.  I think you are referring to the nasolabial folds (the parentheses shaped fold that extends from the sides of your nose down to below the corners of your mouth) that may be bothering you.  At your age I think tissue fillers (such as Radiesse, Juvederm or Restylane) are ideal for nasolabial folds.  If you want skin tightening, resurfacing or just overall rejuvenation, then good options include laser skin resurfacing (fractional or traditional), chemical peels or a series of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments for more subtle and less invasive options.  I don't think you need any surgical intervention any time soon.  You are only 26 and you have a very young and age appropriate face.  Best wishes.

Facelift at 26?

OMG, you're so unique and perfect, my suggestion is to advertise what u have rather than change it.  Cheeks are fine, use blush, highlights, contouring, and if you want to de-emphasize them, grow your lips and eyes with color, brightness, contrast, glitter, lashes, etc.  Hair emphasis (size, contrast, body) also de-emphasizes facial issues.  Work with your own style, develop your allure and class, no need to change or depart from your identity, work harder to grow it.

The procedures you mention will not likely offer meaningful return on investment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Facelift option when I'm 26?

You do not have any changes that can be corrected with a facelift. You also do not have fullness in the buccal fat area and there is likely no excess buccal fat to remove.

You do have flattening in the mid face region and fillers such as Voluma could help. See an expert please-you do not want to have surgery which can cause scars and complications.

Not a candidate for facelift at age 26.

You are definitely not a candidate for facelift. Frankly, I can't really make a case for use of injectables either. Your face is useful an attractive. I suggest you enjoy it while you can.

Buccal Fat

The last thing you need is buccal fat removal.  That procedure done at your age can make your face age faster.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a facelift at 26 years of age?

Age is only a number and I have seen patients who can benefit from various plastic surgery procedure at a younger age. In your case with only one front picture that you have provided, I do not see an indication for a facelift. I don't frankly see any indication for fillers. You have to be careful who you go to, because there are all kinds of people involved in this cosmetic business and there is a potential for abuse. 

Facial rejuvenation for young patients

It's way too early for a facelift.  However, filler and Botox can help fill in areas or contour your face gently without surgery.

Too Young For A Facelift

Thank you for your question.   There is no doubt that are too young for a facelift.  I also do not recommend buccal fat removal as it can age your face.   At this point I would stick to fillers done conservatively address the areas you are concerned about.  Hope this helps you.

Facelift and Buccal Fat Removal

Thanks for your question. You are not a good candidate for a facelift or buccal fat removal. Those who are good candidates for facelifts have skin looseness, soft tissue laxity, and some deflation in soft tissue in the cheek. Also, facial fat at a young age enhance the shape of the face, so I would say that you are also not a good buccal fat removal candidate. You might be a good candidate for fillers such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft for cheek enhancement. Be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon and/or certified nurse injector specialist.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS