Eyes look more sunken after Voluma. Any suggestions? (photos)

Yesterday I had one syringe of Voluma XC split between my two cheek bones and I am not happy because my eyes now look more sunken in. I have always had dark circles and now they look worse. I am thinking of having the Voluma removed but the DR said to give it two weeks before I make that decision. Turning 40 this year and want to look better not worse. Help!!

Santa Monica Voluma and Belotero

It is not uncommon to have facial hollowness in one area when another area is filled with fillers. We advise patients to undergo Belotero for the lower eyelids and tear trough after Voluma injections.

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Santa Monica 

Sunken eyes after Voluma

I too would suggest you wait two weeks before doing anything. I think your after photo actually looks good. And the angles of your befores and afters are quite different - not to mention some of the lighting is different in some of the afters too. But the straight on photo in the "afters" looks quite pretty, I think.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Hollowness after Voluma

This can be quite common after volume augmentation for the cheeks.  A combination of lower eyelid/tear trough filler (restylane) may be advise once swelling has come down.  Additionally, a detailed discussion with your physician on your goals would be advised as well!

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye hollowness after Voluma

I would definitely agree with your physician that you should wait two weeks for the swelling to subside. You may then see that the under eye hollowness has improved. If you are happy with your cheeks but still want to address the hollowness, perhaps speak with your physician about other options.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under Eye and Mid Face Filler

Voluma is great filler for the cheek/midface region. Seeing you had the product injected yesterday, I would listen to your physician and wait the 2 weeks to see the final results. From your photos you may need under eye filler to achieve the youthful look you are hoping to attain. Filler under the eyes will help with the darkness in this area as well address the hollowness you are referring to. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Sunken Eyes after Voluma

Since you just had the injections done swelling may contribute to that sunken eyes. Voluma is a very powerful product that can create great changes when used properly but may also cause distortion when used incorrectly. If to much was injected in zone V3 in the mid cheek it may cause worsening of the area of the cheek lid junction. I would wait 2 weeks and if the problem persist then consult with an expert that would be able to access if you need some of the product dissolved or placed in order to correct your complaint.

Good luck!!!

Eyes Look More Sunken After Voluma

You have actually gotten a pretty good result for having just 1 syringe of Voluma spread between both cheeks. Sometimes when the volume in one area is improved, we start noticing the deficiencies in other areas more. Give it 2 weeks and see how you feel. If you are still not happy with your sunken eyes I think the better solution would be to add some Belotero just underneath your eyes rather than dissolve the Voluma. Best of luck to you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Best Remedy When Eyes look more sunken after Voluma. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi N,

Not to worry.  I agree with your physician.  Wait a few weeks for the Voluma to settle.  You can always have a little Restylane placed in the lower eye lid hollow if need be.  I would not dissolve the Voluma, you do look better already.  Happy Birthday!  Good luck and be well.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunken Eyes After Voluma, Dark Circles

Congrats on your milestone birthday!  You truly look fabulous for your age!  You've had a great result with the Voluma injections.  It is amazing how a small amount of filler can make such a dramatic difference!  I would definitely not recommend dissolving the Voluma.  Instead, I would suggest using more product to help with the sunken in appearance of the eyes.  As your doctor already recommended, wait a full two weeks prior to making any decisions though.

Voluma, Beloero, and Restylane Silk for the eyes

I love Voluma and do a great deal of Volume injecting in my office.  Usually after I inject Voluma patients tell me that their eyes look improved as well.  I would wait two weeks to see the full results since you only had one syringe injected which is not a great deal of product.  It is possible that you need to fill the tear trough area independent of the cheeks and now that you have a little volume in that area you are noticing that as a problem.  You might need a little bit of Belotero or Restylane Silk under the eyes.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections for the best cosmetic results.