African American, female. I want deep, defined philtrum columns and cupid's bow. How can I achieve this look? (photo)

Hello there, My current lips look like the woman's in the first photo where the philtrum columns and the Cupid bow are not well defined. I would like more Rihanna looking lips with deep philtrum columns. Obviously as I have big lips already I don't want any injections in my lips. I was wondering what the best way to achieve this look is. Thank you

Philthrum Enhancement

The enhancement of the philthrum and cupid's bow should be a part of every lip enhancement procedure.  This can be performed with virtually any hyaluronic acid filler suitable for the lips.  Depending on your starting point, you may require between 0.5cc to 1cc of filler for the full treatment. 

Lip definition

When addressing lip augmentation I make a distinction between the outline of the lips called the white roll and the philtral columns and the pink or vermillion. 

The definition you are interested in can be easily achieved with hyaluronic acid fillers such as juvederm. There are a host of others but recently Allergan has introduced Volbella. This is a fine product which should last a year. It is ideal for this.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to assist you with process.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Improving definition in lips

This can be achieved using HA fillers. It won't get you all the way to your ideal lips, but it should improve things. Keep in mind that I think both pics are photoshopped.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

African American, female. I want deep, defined philtrum columns and cupid's bow. How can I achieve this look?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  You can improve the size and definition of your philtral columns with well placed dermal fillers.  I would recommend using a combination of Juvederm for size and Volbella for definition.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results. 

Fillers or implants do great for the Paris Lip look.

Most fillers can create this look and are always recommended 1st. Then when we see what size you like, we later switch over to the permanent implants.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cupid's Bow/Philtral Column Definition

Thanks for your question!  This look can be achieved with injections with a product like Juvederm.  Depending on your anatomy, I would guess this would take anywhere from 0.5cc to a full tube (or 1cc) to enhance these areas.  Be sure to see an experienced injector!  Best of luck!

Lip filler for augmentation

It is easy to fill the philtrum and cupid's bow in patients with diminished volume or desiring fuller volume. Many filler products can be used in that area with excellent results. Find an injector you trust with experience with lips and an eye for the shape and style you want. Best wishes.

Getting Lips You Love--Philtrum Column and Cupid's Bow with Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm), implants or fat

It is very easy to define the columns and cupid's bow with fillers. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Creating philtrum columns on lips

Helli IChange92

Since you already have full lips, you need volume specifically to the philtrum columns and cupids bow.  Increasing definition and volume to the philtrum column can precisely be achieved by injection a filler to the philtral ridges and cupids bow only, avoiding the body of your lip area. 

Julie Edween, DO