Has anyone seen successful fat grafting to lips? I mean results that last over many years?

This summer I has SMAS facelift and templelift. The doctor in San Francisco did many other things that was not agreed. He sucked my lips empty and now 4 months after the procedure my lips are nearly over half the size they used to be. Circulation in them is bad and lips are pale. He teaches fat grafting techniques. I did not want fat grafting and then he did the total opposite and sucked the fat out of my face. I need permanent good results for my lips. Can anyone help?

Lucius Lips

Fat grafting can definitely be both effective and permanent for the lips. The main issue with fat grafting is only about 40% of the fat survives forever. So you require an over injection which will give your lips an over done look for the first month really.

Often patients say they liked the overdone look ( I am conservative with this so maybe that has a play) but if that is the case the answer is a second fat grafting session. It is better to build slowly as fat is difficult to take out of the lips.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to lips

Since you are still early in your recovery from your surgery, I recommend waiting at least 6 months to evaluate your results before undergoing another procedure,  By waiting, you will allow the natural healing process to take place and swelling to resolve to more accurately evaluate your result.  Fat grafting can provide more fullness to your lip as a more permanent option, however you may want to consider an injectable filler treatment to your lips first to precisely visualize the volume necessary for your desired result.  

Julie Edween, DO

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Fat grafting to lips

Fat grafting to the lips can be very successful, but I warn patients that they may require additional procedures to get to the final volume that they desire.  Best of luck.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your surgical results were unanticipated.  Fat grafting can be successfully performed in the lips to offer a more permanent solution, but because of your recent procedure I would allow at least 6 months to pass before entertaining any additional treatment in order to allow the tissues to return to normal - soft, elastic, and without swelling.  You may then want to consider lip filler to determine the exact amount of fat that you will need transferred to give you your desired look.  It often takes several treatment sessions to reach a lip level that you like.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  

Fat graft to lips

This will give long term results. It is sometimes hard to fine tune with fat though. It is placed through larger cannulas than needles used for HA fillers. Also it's "take" is variable. Sometimes more than one procedure is needed. Go to an expert. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fat Transfer to Lips

So sorry you are having this problem. I have been grafting fat to the lips for augmentation for years and I have found this technique useful, satisfying and reasonably permanent.  Studies demonstrate 35%-60% of fat grafted to the face lasts permanently, and I have observed similar results, but take varies among individuals. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia in the office, and takes about one hour. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD