Would I be candidate for minimal scar arm lift? (photos)

I have been wanting to do surgery for my arms but I'm not so sure if If I would be worth getting the full arm lift because of the long scar. Not sure what time of procedure would benefit me?

You have a challenging arm type. First because it still has excess fat, but also because you have excess skin and a prominent arm band in the middle of the arm. The arm band can be made worse when the skin is tightened. You may be best treated by liposuction combined with skin removal, but this will likely be a longer scar along the arm. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon (ABPS) who specializes in brachioplasty. Good luck!

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Long vs small scar

Hi! Thank you for your question. Your a great candidate for a conventional arm lift. A mini or small scar wont remove the excess skin.  The scar lenght depends on the amount of skin. Dr C

Arm lift arm reduction arm liposuction brachioplasty long arm scar mini arm lift modified T arm lift crescent arm lift

Hi 4everruth, 
Thank you for your question regarding arm lift surgery. The arm lift is called a brachioplasty. Instead of being called an arm lift, the procedure should really be called an arm reduction. During a brachioplasty or arm reduction, excess arm fat and excess arm skin are removed. Typically, arm fat and skin are removed at the same time. The arm fat is removed with arm liposuction and direct arm fat excision. Arm skin can only be removed with an incision.
There are different types of arms. Some arm types respond just to arm liposuction. Some arms have mild excess arm skin and fat next to the armpit. These types of arms can be managed by a hidden crescent incision.  A crescent area of skin and fat is removed. Other arms have more skin and fat down the inner arm.  These patients require a T incision.  Sometimes, this is called a modified T arm lift. An incision extends 1/3 to 1/2 way down the upper inner arm.
In your case, you have excess skin and fat from the armpit to the elbow. You have a Type 4 arm.Your arms will be best managed with arm liposuction and an incision from the armpit to the elbow. The brachioplasty procedure takes approximately 3 hours. For the first week, you will have ACE bandages from the wrists to the elbows.  For the second week, you will have ACE bandages from the elbow to the armpit.  Usually the arm scar heals very well and fades with time. Postoperatively, I would highly encourage you wear arm compression garments for six weeks. In addition, I would suggest you apply silicone gel and sheeting for six months. Thank you for your question regarding arm lift or arm reduction (brachioplasty).  
If you have any questions regarding arm lift surgery, please contact my office. Good luck! Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

Would I be candidate for minimal scar arm lift?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although it is not possible to give you precise advice based on the limited information, I think that it is most likely that you will benefit from additional weight loss ( if you are not at your long-term stable weight already) followed by a full arm lifting procedure. Very few patients are a good candidate for "minimal scar" lifting surgery.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of examples achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos which demonstrate excess fat and skin, it is unlikely that a minimal scar arm lift would give you the result that you'd be happy with.  A full scar and liposuction would likely be required.  Be sure that your overall weight is stable and your body mass index is under 35.  Consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Benefits of arm lift surgery

The type of incision allows the surgeon to remove more or less redundant skin. Looking at the picture seems like you have fatty tissue that also needs to be addressed. If you are very concern about scars and will like to have a limited axillary incision for the arm lift, you may benefit from doing liposuction to the arms first, let the skin contract as much as possible and then removed any remaining saggy skin. Consult a Board Certified Plastic surgeon in your area who has experience on this type of procedures to get an evaluation.

Since your redundancy is limited to the upper arm, you will make a great candidate

Please note that you will make a great candidtate for a minimal incision brachioplasty as your redundancy is limited to the upper arm. A consultation is necessary to provide you details of your incision line placement and length.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Arm lift traditional or short scar?

You are a candidate for a short scar arm lift, with the scars remaining proximal to the crease that wraps around your arm.  Of course, the short scar arm lift does not tighten the skin as much as the more common, longer scar arm lift.  You should evaluate the pros and cons of each procedure with your board-certified plastic surgeon. You will also benefit from additional weight loss before the surgery.  Good luck.

David Stoker, MD