Can an arm lift be done under local anesthesia?

Yes it can be done with some intravenous sedation. There may be a disadvantage in terms of the amount of skin that can be removed as the local anesthesia causes the skin to swell. This swelling in the arm, makes it difficult to close the incision so you may be able to remove more skin under general anesthesia with no local (that causes skin swelling).

Arm Lift in Melbourne, Florida

The choice of anesthesia for your arm lift is discussed with your anesthesiologist and board-certified plastic surgeon. While several different types of anesthetics are possible, ultimately, your comfort during the procedure and the degree to which your surgeon needs to be able to remove excess skin and fatty tissue accurately will be strong considerations. Discuss in detail with your board-certified plastic surgeon. I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty under local anesthesia

Thank you for your question. Yes, depending on the extent of the procedure and patients expectation.

Thank you for your question.  The extent of the surgical sites in an arm lift would require a lot of local anesthetic, which would risk reaching toxic levels and increasing the risk for complications.  Because of this, it's best to perform it under general anesthesia.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Yes, arm lifting can be done under local anesthesia but I would not recommend it, in most cases. Generally I perform this procedure under general anesthesia, under the supervision of a board-certified anesthesiologist.  This allows for maximal control of patient safety, comfort, and the mobility concerns.  Best wishes.

Arm lift under local

Hello, thank you for the question.  The surgery could be performed under local but because of the extensive nature of the surgery, a large amount of local anesthesia would be required to control the pain. The concern is that high levels of local anesthesia may reach toxic levels and this would endanger your health.

Optimal results are best obtained through sedation. 

Bryan Michelow, MD, FACS
Beachwood Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift under local

Thank you for your question!  The answer is some arm lifts for some patients can be safely performed under local anesthesia, usually supplemented with oral sedation.  As my colleagues have noted, not all brachioplasties are the same.  The volume and distribution of soft tissue impacts the operative plan, as does the amount of skin to be excised.  The ideal candidate would be in excellent health with only a limited amount of ptotic skin and excess fat.  The amount of local to be given, especially as a tumescent solution, could then be both effective and safe, and the duration of the procedure could be very tolerable.   In that patient population, results can be comparable to those that could be achieved if the procedure were performed under a general anesthetic.  More substantive arms, requiring a more aggressive approach require a surgicenter and IV sedation (MAC) or general anesthesia.  Nothing substitutes for common sense, good judgement, and an emphasis on safety!  Best of luck as you consider your options.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

A brachioplasty under local anesthesia?

I would not recommend getting a full brachioplasty under local anesthesia. The amount of local anesthesia you would likely require could be toxic and much more dangerous than general anesthesia. Also, the plastic surgeon has much less opportunity to make precise adjustments, like using liposuction, or extending the scar.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift under local anesthesia?

An arm lift may be performed under local anesthesia, especially if it is a smaller case.  Most often, however, the arm lifts are bigger cases where patients benefit from a deeper anesthetic provided by an anesthesiologist for maximum safety and comfort. 

David Stoker, MD

Arm lift

Arm lift and/or smart lipo of the arms can be performed under local, provided you are a candidate.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.