Is it okay to have Botox, Dysport or Xeomin injection on the forehead before cataract surgery? (Photo)

Ask your surgeon

The safest thing would be to contact your surgeon performing your cataract surgery. I do not believe there is a reason not to, but I would ask them just in case.

Ask your surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Is it okay to have Botox, Dysport or Xeomin injection on the forehead before cataract surgery?

IMHO, this should be perfectly fine but I would recommend contacting your eye surgeon to ensure that they agree. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Before Surgery

There should be no reason that you cannot have botox injections before surgery but I would clear this with your treating physician and you should go to someone very experienced in treating the forehead and around the eyes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox Before Surgery

There is no interaction with any of those neurotoxins and having a cataract surgery.I would still tell the eye surgeon about the injections just so they know and understand there might not be completely normal forehead muscle motion so they do not become concerned.

Botox Before Cataract Surgery

How far in advance are we talking? It most likely is ok, but I would check with your surgeon to see if he is ok with it. Best of luck.

Botox Before Cataract Surgery

The options of Botox, Dysport or Xeomin injection on the forehead before cataract surgery for female

While it should be safe in the hands of an experienced and expert physician injector, you may want to wait until after surgery to have the botox.

​I would like to go ahead and say yes, it is ok for one to have a Botox treatment before Cataract surgery.

I would like to go ahead and say yes, it is ok for one to have a Botox treatment before Cataract surgery. In addition, no laying flat for 3 hours after Botox injection or risk any massaging or pressure on the Botox area for 24 hours after injection.

It is always best to ask the person performing your surgery. 

Best 

Best 

Botox Before Surgery

There are no contraindications to have Botox before surgical procedure but make sure to verify this with your eye surgeon. However you should be VERY careful about not having anyone apply any kind of undue pressure to the areas of injection for about 1 week after administration as there would be a small risk of unintended spread and migration. While this would pose to systemic risk to you, it may alter your ultimate results if the Botox were to spread into the muscles around the eye, for instance, giving you a droopy eye.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox Before Surgery

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox, Dysport, Xeomin before Cataract surgery?

Thank you for the picture.

Yes, you can have botulinum toxin (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) injected before Cataract Surgery. 

After your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment, make sure you do not perform any strenuous activity for 24 hours, no massaging of the area for 24 hours, and I would wait 7-10 days after your injections before your Cataract Surgery. 

Be sure to talk to your Ophthalmologist about other recommendations that he/she may have.

Good luck with your injections and your surgery!

Thank you for the picture.

Botox before cataract surgery

As an ophthalmology trained Botox injector I can say it is absolutely fine but I usually recommend that you don't do it any closer than one week before the surgery just to be sure that any manipulation around the eye during surgery doesn't inadvertently migrate the Botox and cause a temporary lid droop. Good luck

Botox before cataract surgery