How Long Is A Compression Garment Needed After Male Breast Reduction?

Are garments worn for more than 6 weeks after a breast reduction surgery? What is the longest that they might need to be worn?

Compression garments are over used in male breast reduction

Compression garments are most important in the first 48 hours after surgery.  They help reduce the risks of bleeding and bruising.  I typically have men wear them until they come back to see me post-op, a half of a week to a week later, and then can switch to a light compression shirt like Under Armor after that.  They can be worn longer for comfort and security if desired, but I haven't seen any evidence that long term use improves the final result.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction?

In my surgical youth I recall a very famous Plastic surgeon known to many of us, when asked by a medical student "Prof. X, WHEN do the titches come out", he would invariably respond "Monday". It was his way to teach us early that rigidity did not belong in Plastic Surgery and that each patient had to be assessed individually.

We use compression garments to promote adherence of the thinned skin to the underlying muscle and reduce swelling. By 3-4 weeks this is accomplished in a majority of men. Wearing the garment longer is not really needed after this point BUT if we are dealing with individuals who may be too active too soon or who may have other reasons we may extend the period of compression.

Monday.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Monday.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Compression Garments after Gynecomastia Surgery

There are lots of different methods to correct gynecomastia. The size and shape of the gynecomastia can also vary. Because of this, some patients may need to wear it longer than others. I usually tailor my patients' postoperative guidelines based on all these factors. However, I tell most patients that they should expect to wear their garment up to 6 weeks. I believe that it decreases pain, prevents seromas (fluid collections), stimulates blood flow to the area, allows for skin contraction, and improves shape. Especially for those moderate to severe cases where their is an excess in skin, continuous wearing of the vest for longer than 3 weeks really is essential to obtaining the best contour in the long run. Regardless, follow your own doctor's advice as he or she will determine the length of time you should wear your garment based on your own situation and his technique.

Alexander Ereso, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Alexander Ereso, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Garment

Usually compression garment after this procedure can be anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks.  Surgeons may have different protocols depending on what they prefer the garment to be used.

Garment

Compression garment post male breast reduction

I usually advise my patients to wear the compression garments 24x7 for 4 weeks following the surgery. In cases where there is loose skin or a large glandular excision, I might advise them to continue wearing it for 6 weeks.

Post-Op Garment

After your #gynecomastia #surgery, you will be required to wear a #compression #garment after surgery for the next few weeks. The extra pressure this garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering. We want you to have circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but you may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.  

Ask your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon how long they recommend for you to wear the garment.

Post-Op Garment

Male Breast Reduction- Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia - Male Breast Reduction

How long should a compression garment be worn after gynecomastia?

In an effort to facilitate wound healing following a male breast reduction surgery, compression garments are frequently utilized. The empty space left after the removal of  the excess breast gland, fat will fill and swell unless compressed. This compression is especially important t he first 48-72 hours after surgery.

Your compression garment helps reduce the amount of post operative bruising and swelling and is typically worn for 2-6 weeks. A thick tight muscle shirt works well for many of our patients.

Male Breast Reduction- Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia - Male Breast Reduction

Compression garments

Compression garments are usually prescribed during the initial postoperative period to help prevent seroma formation and excessive swelling/bruising.  This period of time is usually 2-6 weeks, in my experience, and  depends on the amount of undermining, the use of drains, and liposuction performed.  

Compression garments

Compression Garment after Male Breast Reduction

This depends on the type of male breast reduction surgery that was done. Typically the compression garment should be worn for about 6 weeks. Your surgeon will be able to tell you how long you should wear the garment beyond that.

How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction

Thank ypu for your question.  In my practice, a compression garment is worn in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  After two weeks, the patient can switch to a contour garment like SPANX for an additional 3-4 weeks.  Consult with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes