Scar Tissue After Gynecomastia Surgery- Do I Need A Revision?

I had my surgery last June with liposuction. I was warned before hand about scar tissue development so I wasnt worried about it when I got the lumps afterwards. However, as time has gone by and plenty of massaging of the area, the scar tissue has not yet broken down and still remains. Its been 14 months, and my doctor has suggested a revision surgery to remove the scar tissue, but this will only increase the chances of it returning! My right side has a huge lump, left is flatter but also has it!

Concerned About Scarring After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,  5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Consider revision

You may want to consider revision surgery nonetheless, since the lumps may also be caused by remaining glandular tissue that wasn't removed in the original surgery.

Revision of gynecomastia surgery

If you are not satisfied with the surgery I would let the surgeon perform the revision. It shouldn't be too difficult at all. Be prepared to pay for the facility fee but most surgeons would waive any further professional fee.

Gynecomastia revision surgery

Based on your history and description of your current situation, it is likely that you have residual breast tissue that you are feeling. This tissue may have been left behind since you had liposuction surgery only. The liposuction procedure may have been ineffective in removing the breast tissue.  Revisionary surgery may involve an incision below the areola, excision of the residual breast and “scar” tissue and fine tuning liposuction if necessary. Again, without the benefit of examining you personally, I think you have a good chance for significant improvement with the revisionary surgery.

Gynecomastia revision

There is a good chance that not all of the tissue has been removed by the liposuction procedure.  Excision of the remaining tissue via an incision at the border of your areola is likely the best option for correction.  See link for before and after photos of what to expect.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Only way to remove these "lumps" is revisional surgery. If still unsure obtain second opinions from other boarded PSs in your area. 

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi tomjohnson,

Thanks for the post and photo. At 14 months you will not see any further improvement in your chest. Based on the photo the right outer lower chest shows fullness. This can only be treated with another surgery.

The main question is whether you initially had a flat appearance to the chest and then developed the fullness or if it was full from the first day after surgery. If it was full right after surgery then it's likely not scar tissue, but rather residual breast tissue that would not have been removed with a liposuction technique. If the chest was originally flat after surgery then developed the lumps then it is likely scar tissue.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia Revision Surgery Needed

Liposuction alone will only correct the male chest for one who has "pseudo-gynecomastia", which is caused by fat alone. Male breast tissue is too dense to be removed through a cannula that is used for liposuction. The majority of men have true gynecomastia, which is a combination of fat and breast tissue. You most likely have breast tissue remaining along with scar tissue which can only be removed by surgical excision. Revision surgery is more difficult but can be done with great results. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD