How long do the effects of Micro Needling Last? How often is maintenance required?

I am considering getting a micro needling procedure done, but the nurse said the procedure requires a maintenance needling every few months. Why every few months? I plan to do the needling for collagen production around the eye area and usually when getting lasers done for collagen production the treatments are required years apart, not months apart.

Lasting effects of micro-needling and maintenance treatments

Micro-needling(aka Collagen Induction Therapy) is great for stimulating collagen and overall rejuvenation of the skin(as is laser resurfacing), but given the skin continues to age, we must continue to rejuvenate AND MAINTAIN no matter the modality. 

A series of 4-6 micro-needling treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart is recommended to achieve an optimal result.  Once you have completed your series, your clinician can determine what maintenance regimen will best suit you based on your overall skin care goals. It most likely will include micro-needling maintenance treatments at some point, but if you continue to maintain an effective home care regimen, in addition to, regular skin care treatments you should be "sitting pretty," for 6 months to a year before you need a maintenance treatment. 

For all you do to stimulate collagen, it is continually being broken down. This is the ugly truth.This is why maintenance is key. As we age, we do not produce collagen as readily as we did in our youth. And no matter how much we do to slow down the aging process, we cannot stop it in its entirety. The aging that we experience in the form of fine lines, wrinkles, skin laxity, & tactile roughness can all be attributed to the natural break down of collagen over time, in addition to, a drastic decrease in cellular turnover. When you factor in lifestyle habits such as over exposure to sun, tanning beds, smoking, etc.  you aid in expediting the aging process. 

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lasting effects from micro-needling

To get the best results from micro-needling I recommend an initial series of four monthly treatments. During each treatment, my staff uses a concentrated human growth factor serum derived from human stem cells to further enhance the results. We also have our patients apply a growth factor serum at home to not only maintain the results but to give continued improvement as well.
By the way, a recent study showed that micro-needling the skin can give as good or better results than laser or Fraxel treatments!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Are the effects of micro needling permanent?

Hello Anna07,
Thanks for your question.
All minimally invasive treatments for the face only reset the clock.
You continue to age therefore you need to continue with keeping up your treatments.  Just like a car that gets no maintenance falls apart faster, a face with no maintenance will also age faster.
The cost and recovery from micro needling is fairly minimal therefore it's an easy maintenance treatment.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Micro Needling

Micro Needling can have several approaches, just like laser can have several approaches. Depending on what your goals are, and what you want your end result to be, will depend on the time between services. We do have our patients come back four to six weeks for a series of 6. Then we discuss what each patient can do to maintain the results. Example being, coming in for Hydrafacials each month for additional exfoliation and hydration.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

How Often To Microneedle

As with any treatment, the more you are consistent and keep up with it, the more results you will have.  I recommend to my patients to have microneedling performed every 4-6 weeks, depending on the depth of their treatment.  I also recommend combining the microneedling treatment with PRP therapy or platelet rich plasma.  This involves a quick blood draw and then we spin down your plasma to isolate out the platelets and growth factors.  This PRP is then massaged into your face like a mask or it can be injected directly into problematic areas.  Best of luck to you!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How long does Microneedling last?

Microneedling doesn't "wear off" but it also does not stop the clock permanently. At our office, we start our patients with a series of 3 procedures unless we are treating scaring, hyperpigmentation or deeper wrinkles we will do 4-6 procedures. After the procedure series we then discuss the best maintenance regimen for each individual patient depending on their skin type. I tell all my patients that taking care of your skin is like going to the gym... Once you stop, your body will eventually lose the results you once worked for. 

DeEtta M. Gray, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

How often to microneedle the face?

Thank you for your question. In my practice, I have found that microneedling the face 4 times spaced one month apart will give a desired outcome. Patients will benefit most with maintenance treatment every 6 months afterwards. Results are best when microneedling is combined with PRP (platelet rich plasma).

I hope this helps. Best wishes (Dr. Salameh, Bowling Green, KY Plastic Surgeon) 

Bernard S. Salameh, MD
Bowling Green Physician

Effects of Microneedling

In my practice, we use the SkinPen™ for microneedling, and the final outcome for acne scars can be very impressive. One of the benefits of microneedling in general is the minimal risk of side effects, particularly if you visit a board certified plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the technique. However, since the procedure does involve creating controlled micro-injuries to promote the skin’s natural healing response, it’s common to notice redness and swelling after a session. Some people may experience a mild acne flare-up, or tiny white bumps under the skin called milia. Any of these concerns should dissipate rapidly.

Gary Motykie, MD

Microneedling Lasting Effects

It is a minimally invasive procedure. It also stimulates your skin’s natural ability to heal itself. You will see results with one treatment, but the results will be even greater if you do a series of treatments. As with any treatment, the more you are consistent and keep up with it, the more results you will have.  I recommend to my patients to have microneedling performed every 4-6 weeks, depending on the depth of their treatment.  

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Microneedling Effects

For microneedling it is most effective to do 4-5 treatments about 4 weeks apart. We use various serums with the procedure to optimize the therapy. Unfortunately, we cannot stop our skin from aging so maintenance treatments are needed to achieve longer lasting results.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon