How long will it take for uneven nostrils to even out after rhinoplasty? (photo)
Doctor Answers 3
How long will it take for uneven nostrils to even out after rhinoplasty?
Kenneth Hughes, MD
Los Angeles, CA.
Asymmetry after rhinoplasty
#1 asymmetry of the nostrils often exists before surgery and is present after surgery. Altering nostril asymmetry is one of the most difficult and least predictable portions of a rhinoplasty.
#2 it is very normal for the nose to be stiff and the tip to be stiff or hard particularly if there was any cartilage grafting performed during the procedure.
#3 rhinoplasty success is measured in months and years, not weeks and months. The patient
Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon
Nostrils after rhinoplasty
- It is normal to have asymmetric swelling for up to six months after rhinoplasty
- I would bring this up to your surgeon who can advise you better
- The tip will be firm in the healing stages
- If a columellar strut graft (or something similar to support the tip ) was placed, it will be firm for many years, but will soften over the first few months
- You want it to be a little firm so that it does not droop as you get older