I'm having a tummy tuck & Lipo of the flanks in 1 week. My doctor told me to take 2 Robaxin tablets 1 hour before surgery?

Is that required before surgery? I never have taken any muscle relaxers so I am afraid of any possible side effects.

Muscle Relaxers Before Surgery

Robaxin before surgery unusual, and I have never heard of it being done.  In cases of muscle spasm after surgery I have found it useful, but you are already receiving strong medications for your anesthesia and the Robaxin should not be necessary.
I share the other doctors concerns about the credentials of your doctor and the facility.

Robaxin before a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. Robaxin is not required before a tummy tuck since this procedure is performed under aesthesia. Some surgeons may prescribe this muscle relaxant after the procedure to alleviate muscle spasms. Different specialists have different standards and, as the other respondent has suggested, you may want to verify your surgeon's credentials and make sure that he or she is board-certified. An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

That is unusual.  Is the procedure being performed under general anesthesia in an accredited facility by a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?

Thank you for your question and best wishes on your upcoming procedure.  I do not typically prescribe patients oral muscle relaxants prior to surgery and I would recommend reaching out to your surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Tummy tuck and liposuction - should I take the medicines?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and liposuction.
  • It is not clear what the situation is -
  • Are you having your surgeon in an Accredited Outpatient Surgery Center?
  • If so, the anesthesiologist is usually the one to give you these instructions.
  • Please be sure your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and your surgery will be at an Accredited Outpatient Surgery Center - this may be an office suite in your surgeon's office but must be accredited.
  • Robaxin is a sedative/muscle relaxant but would be unnecessary usually if you are having general anesthesia.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS