Spanx or binder?

I am 3 was PO. Which should I be wearing?

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Compression Binder

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure. I recommend wearing a compression garment for 4 - 6 weeks following tummy tuck surgery. Spanx or a compression binder are both acceptable as long as they provide proper support. You should follow your plastic surgeon's advice regarding level of physical activity and use of a compression garment. Hope this helps!

Compression after Abdominoplasty

After tummy tuck surgery, patients are wrapped in an abdominal binder until the first postoperative visit. As you are healing, it is important to wear the binder or compression garment at all times, except when in the shower, for 6 weeks. This garment helps minimize swelling, contour your abdominal region, and support your muscle repair. After 6 weeks, some patients prefer to transition to comfortable support clothing, such as SPANX®, but it is up to you and what you prefer. Every surgeon has his or her own postoperative protocol for patients. It is necessary that you follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon on which support garment he or she recommends is best for you as he or she is most familiar with your healing. I wish you luck in your recovery!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Spax or Binder

Thank you for the question.  In order to guarantee the most reliable and individualized medical advice, I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. Spanx garments and compression binders both serve to maintain support, decrease swelling, and eliminate a "dead space" (between the abdominal wall skin and abdominal wall muscles) during the healing period. In some cases, patients even choose to wear their binders outside Spanx garments for maximum support. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to guarantee proper evaluation and fully assess your needs. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Spanx or Binder

It really does not matter the brand at this point. Either your compression garment or Spanx would both be fine as long as they provide proper compression and support of the area that was treated.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Spanx or binder?

Thank you for your question.  Your surgeon will be able to best advise you based on the specific procedure you had performed and on how much swelling you are experiencing after surgery but in my practice I recommend wearing a compression garment for at least 6 weeks after surgery and then transitioning to a thinner garment such as a Spanx. If you have little swelling or discomfort at three weeks you may be able to use the Spanx garment now.  Hope this helps.

Spanx or binder... timing is everything

Congratulations on your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The protocol among physicians is different. I prefer to use the binder while you have drains. Once the drains are out, I like to use the Spanx as a first layer reinforced with the binder on top at least 6 weeks. Then you can use them as needed based on swelling.
Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.
Wishing you the best in your journey