Waist training before a Tummy tuck. Any suggestions?

Will waist training with a corset to try to achieve an hourglass figure be pointless if I am planning on a tummy tuck? Or will waist training be helpful in getting the results I want after the procedure?

I would not recommend it as I do not think it will provide any long term benefits.  

Will Waist Training Before a Tummy Tuck to Get an Hourglass Figure be Pointless if I Get a Tummy Tuck?

Yes, because the tummy tuck will do much more to give you a narrow waist just in itself. The abdominal wall is tightened and the circumference at the waist is reduced. This is a powerful reduction in anatomical structures and dimension, entirely beyond what any external device can do.  After the procedure I don't think you would get any further benefit from using a corset.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

​ Waist training is not an effective method of weight loss.

Hello, and thanks for your question. Using a corset or other waist training garment cannot actually permanently alter the shape or size of your waist. These methods will provide temporary “results” only while you’re wearing the device. In some cases, these garments can even be dangerous, as they can cause trouble breathing and may even damage your ribs. If you’re looking for a flatter, more toned stomach, I would suggest consulting a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss a tummy tuck. This procedure can yield excellent long-lasting results that just aren’t possible through nonsurgical methods. Best of luck!

Wait training before and after tummy tuck

Thank you for the question! Exercise and abdominal and back muscle strengthening is helpful before the surgery.  After the surgery you will need to stay away from any strenuous activity until cleared by your surgeon.  Generally that time is approximately 6 weeks but is different for each individual. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

You do not need to do "waist training" if you are planning a tummy tuck. However, you probably would benefit from abdominal waist, and flank liposuction in the pursuit of an hour glass figure.

Fred Suess, MD

Waist training before a tummy tuck procedure may help a little, but I think it's difficult to determine how much actual improvement it will give you. During a tummy tuck procedure, your surgeon will likely tighten your abdominal wall, which is basically like creating an internal corset. This will help narrow the waistline and create in hourglass figure.
Make sure that you don't start waist training after surgery, until you are cleared by your surgeon. A tight garment after a tummy tuck could affect healing.

Although, it always pays to exercise and watch your diet, waist training prior to a tummy tuck is not necessary and probably will not substantially improve the overall results.  That said, after your tummy tuck and once the abdominal muscles have be tightened/repositioned, it will be beneficial to to maintain good muscle tone with abdominal exercises.  Check with your surgeon for recommendations as to when it would be safe to begin any exercise program.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Waist training before a Tummy tuck. Any suggestions

I do not think any wait training will help in any way. I think you are fine to just proceed with the tummy tuck.

Julio Garcia, MD