I want a tummy tuck but I haven't had kids yet. Is it safe to have kids after tummy tuck?

Having a tummy tuck won’t interfere with your ability to have children.

A tummy tuck involves removing excess skin from the stomach area, and, in certain cases, repairing separated abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck won’t prevent you from carrying a pregnancy to full term or giving birth to a healthy child. However, it’s important for you to realize that a pregnancy will likely reverse your tummy tuck results, which will mean you’ll need another tummy tuck surgery after your pregnancy. It’s best to wait until after you’ve completed your family before you schedule a tummy tuck.

It is safe to have children after tummy tuck.  What you want may be reasonable, but pictures or an exam would be necessary to make a useful recommendation.

Tummy tuck advices:

Thanks for the question.It all depends on you. You can have tummy tuck before or after kinds. I recommend you to send your photos to give you more advices.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy?

I recommend to my patients to wait until they have completed their childbearing before having a tummy tuck. You’ll also want to allow your body time to heal (6 or more months) from your last pregnancy prior to surgery. Be aware that should you choose to have a tummy tuck prior to pregnancy, your surgical results will be short-lived and you will most likely need a second tummy tuck later. Choose only a surgeon that is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Karen Singer, MD

Pregnancy and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  In general, pregnancy will negatively impact the positive effects of abdominoplasty surgery due to restretching of the abdominal wall muscles and skin.  I usually counsel my patients on weight stability prior to undergoing major body contouring procedures.  This would obviously include pregnancy which can cause huge fluctuations in abdominal wall anatomy.

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

Thank you for your question. I advice patients to wait until they´re done having babies to have a tummy tuck as pregnancy can reverse the effect of the tummy tuck procedure. If youre not considering having babies for a long time then you should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. Don´t settle for less!

Tummy tuck and having kids

While it is safe to have kids after a tummy tuck, it is unlikely that your results will be preserved (your muscles and skin will likely stretch out again with pregnancy). You could always have a secondary procedure after children. I generally advise my patients to wait until they are finished having children to have a tummy tuck, but this is something only you can decide when the timing is right for you. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Tummy Tuck Pre Children

Pregnancy will always win post tummy tuck. That being said, it will more than likely undue any skin/muscle tightening done during the surgery, leaving you with loose skin once again. You can always have a second tummy tuck post children though. I always advise my patients to just wait until they are finished with all the babies before any major cosmetic surgery.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

Hi there and thanks for posting.
There is no issue of safety regarding pregnancy following a TT. T
If you are considering a tummy tuck as a result of weight loss, and pregnancy is not on your immediate radar then it is perfectly legitimate to pursue this surgery before children. 
Just be aware that you may loose some of your gains from the surgery, but not necessarily all of the improvements you see.
This is a common scenario following massive weight loss that I see all the time.
Best wishes

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

It is possible to perform tummy tuck prepregnancy however post pregnancy you may get "stretched out" again and lose all the benefit of the hard work and recovery. A recent study from Brazil showed that pregnancy after tummy tuck patients actually did well for the most part but I would not typically plan for such a procedure. In other words wait until after your pregnancies to undergo an abdominoplasty to avoid second surgery.