Is it usually obvious someone has had rhinoplasty?

Im considering the procedure, Im getting a job over summer so I can save money.ive always been insecure about my nose theres a small bump its too wide and one side is different to the other. If it wasnt for the social stigma attached to surgery then id be 100%. Im just very nervous about how obvious it would be that ive had it done, I dont want people to notice not even family and friends. Ive thought about telling parents but I know they'll disagree and say nothing needs to be done. Im 20

Hello annasmith22,
Thanks for your question.
If you continue to be bothered by your nose, then a rhinoplasty may be a proper option for you to consider.
Surgery is not without its risks and you should be prepared for that.
Rhinoplasty performed by a rhinoplasty specialist and done with an eye towards subtle harmony will, in most instances, be undetectable.  But this depends on where you are starting from and where you are wanting to go with your end result.
It is important that you have support in this journey but in the end you are doing this to better yourself and not for someone else.
Take your time, go on several consultations, and if things are right for you, consider having rhinoplasty surgery.  You are young and there is no rush, so don't make a decision you will possibly regret later. Rhinoplasty is permanent change to the nose, so the decision to have surgery shouldn't be taken lightly.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Dear annasmith, In the hands of an expert rhinoplasty surgeon you should be able to have a very natural looking rhinoplasty that will not be obvious. Many patients will color their hair, get a haircut or alter something else and their friends and family think they look amazing but just can't put their finger on it. I performed a rhinoplasty procedure on my daughter during college break and she like yourself was concerned what people would think and not one friend mentioned surgery or new that she had it performed. A well performed rhinoplasty should look like you were born with it and it was not purchased. When searching for your surgeon make sure the before and after photographs are natural looking rhinoplasty results as shown on the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Is It Obvious Someone Had Rhinoplasty?

Having rhinolasty is a very personal decision and it is understandable if you do not want anyone to notice. You should consult with board certified plastic surgeons, view their gallery of work and patient testimonials. When rhinoplasty is performed correctly, results are natural. Many patients report that no one knows they have had a notice job, once they have recovered from swelling and bruising. Also, it is important to take into consideration what you would like changed about your nose, and how major or minor the changes are. Again, this is something that a board certified surgeon will be able to assess and discuss realistic goals and expectations with you.

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Natural Rhinoplasty

When done correctly it is possible to achieve a very natural look using rhinoplasty. The best thing to do is to research board certified surgeons and find one that specializes in natural rhinoplasty results.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Outcome from any surgery is surgeon dependent

A nicely done rhinoplasty will just give you a pretty and natural nose.  You just have to find the right doctor.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Is It Usually Obvious Someone had a Nose Job?

Only bad work is obvious. When a natural result is achieved by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist others will not know. Review the work of possible surgeons on their websites before scheduling a consultation.

Rhinoplasty

It all depends on what the original nasal problem was and the type of rhinoplasty performed. Even though the nose may be in the very center of your nose, most rhinoplasty patients go undetected.

A few days after a rhinoplasty procedure, the patient usually has the stigmata of the procedure such as swelling and bruising. Once this phase passes, if the procedure was done properly, it really should not be that obvious. The swelling takes about 12 months to completely resolve. However in the first few weeks, the patient usually notices a significant improvement in the swelling.

Hope my answer helps 

Natural look

Having a natural look and a harmonious nose with the rest of the face is possible for patients. However, it is important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who understands your goals and has the ability to deliver results. Best of luck, MMT

Natural rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is one of the more difficult procedures to perform in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so it's important to choose a surgeon who can give you very natural results. A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the bridge line and the tip. For many examples and more information about rhinoplasty, please see  the link and the video below