What is this extra eye fold/skin I have next to my eyelid? (Photo)

I really need some help I have had this since birth I'm only 24 and I want it gone, I can push this bit of skin in and it feels really thin, what is this best treatment to remove this problem I really hate the loose bit of skin in the inner corner of my eyes, what procedure would cause the least scarring. Any recommendations for the London area

Doctor Answers 3

You do have a pronounced fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

at your medial lid and you should see a local oculoplastic or plastic surgeon to have it evaluated and to have options provided to you.  But it will either involved filling the defect, removing excess skin, or possibly nothing if the risks for poor outcomes is considerable.  There are risks and you must be accepting of them to have something done.

Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Extra eyelid fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Based on the picture, there is an extra fold of skin in the area between the inner eyelid and nose (epicanthus).  Epicanthal skin folds may be present at birth, but typically resolve in a few years.  Also, operating on that area could be challenging from the standpoint of scarring, etc.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon, or any plastic surgeon who also specializes in the eyelids, to determine the most appropriate treatment options for you.  

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Epicanthal fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. I believe you are referring to the epicanthan fold. This is a normal variation, but it can be addressed with surgery. I would recommend consulting with a occuloplastic surgeon to see if surgery would benefit. Good luck! 

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.