Cysteamine 5% cream for melasma?

ThIs cream seems to be new alternative to hq for melasma. I want to try but want to know if it makes skin sensitive to sun similar to hq? Does one has to avoid this cream in hot summer and wear spf to avoid getting more spots ? Thanks you

Start slow, increase as with any other cream

As with any other cream, start slow, then work up. Video explains how to use creams. Any active ingredient can irritate skin. 

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Pigmentation on the skin and Melarase creams

I would start Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, and Replenish to reduce pigmentation on the skin. Once you use it for a month, start Melapeels once monthly to further reduce pigmentation. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS