Strange texture on butterfly area of face. (photo)

Hi, I have this strange texture on my face in the butterfly area but not on nose. No doctor or dermatologist so far has identified what it is. I have rosacea but not overly red. I Did a blood test for lupas was negative. Hard to take a photo but the skin is thickened and looks like a burn scar. I have had laser before all over my face and the butterfly area is only affected? I'm sure it's a type of immune disease or disorder. The areas are slightly red and thick skin, no pores. Please help!

Tailored treatment by a dermatologist.

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on. 

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective. Laser toning using the long pulse Nd Yag at 1064 can help with background redness. 

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A. 

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens. 

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options. 

Kind regards.

Dr Davin S. Lim.

Laser Dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Testural change in face

I do not think you have an autoimmune disease. Most likely this textural change is due to the laser treatment you had.  moisturizers may help but I am not sure anything else can be done

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist