Asian Rhinoplasty Bridge Implant lifespan?

Hi all, I am considering an Asian rhinoplasty, and after extensive research still torn between the multiple materials used to build up (augment) the bridge. So my main question is how long silicone implants last? Ive heard "L" implants are not good to use due to the possibility of it coming through the skin. So in summary im just wondering whether a "I" silicone implant would last forever, or if it would eventually have to be removed? Many thanks, Dany

Long term

Avoid synthetic grafts of any sort in the nose as much as possible - the best results are with your own tissues or at most a Medpor implant for the bridge only but not the tip which needs autogenous tissue

Asian Rhinoplasty - Implant options

While L-shape implants have a greater risk of extrusion through the skin in the tip of the nose, I-shape implants still carry a higher risk of extrusion through the skin in the bridge of the nose than autologous grafts (your own cartilage).  Cartilage has an infinitely lower chance of extrusion than synthetic grafts (practically none under normal conditions), and a much lower risk of infection or migration.  Overall, autologous grafts are a much more permanent and safer option for reshaping the nose during Asian rhinoplasty.Grafts from your own tissue will have a much lower rate of complications than synthetic implants such as silicone, Gore-tex or Medpore.The best way to determine what specific changes will look good on your face, and what changes are surgically possible, is to do your research to find the top Asian rhinoplasty specialists and consult with several of them in person.  During your consultation, your photos can be computer-morphed to show how the changes to your nose will affect your appearance.  An Asian rhinoplasty specialist will have the experience to determine whether the morphed images are surgically attainable.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

In our practice, we prefer used cartilage grafts for dorsal augmentation, since the body's natural tissues will integrate better than a foreign substance.  In limited applications, a Silastic, Flowers nasal dorsal implant can worked quite well for Asian rhinoplasty

Lifespan of Silicone Nasal Implant

The silicone nasal implant will last a lifetime as long as it never gets infected, moves, or extrudes which are all risks of this procedure. This is why I use diced cartilage/fascia grafts to augment the Asian nose. Their own tissue will become part of the surrounding nasal structures.

Best option for Asian nasal augmentation?

The best material that I have used for more than 35 years for augmentation of your nasal bridge would be cartilage from your septum and Or Ear combined with fascia. Using a foreign substance always will leave you with the possibility of extrusion or infection in the future. If you were going to have a foreign material I would favor a single dorsal silicone implant.  

Nasal Implants for Asian Rhinoplasty

Nasal dorsal augmentation for rhinoplasty enhancement can be achieved in numerous ways and with many different acceptable materials. Personally, I favor autologous cartilage grafts, sometimes combined with autologous fascia or Alloderm over silicone implants of any style. This is because natural materials tend to have longstanding, safe results and may integrate with your natural nasal tissues for stable correction. Silicone implants on the other hand, do not integrate, can move or shift, have a higher incidence of extrusion or infection that other options available to your plastic surgeon. Silicone is popular with some physicians due to simplicity of insertion, acceptable cost to the patient, and in many cases, nice correction. Unfortunately, silicone implants for nasal augmentation are associated with the increase risks as mentioned. Ask your physician about your options and search for someone who regularly performs rhinoplasties of this type. Best Regards. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon