6 months severe gynecomastia case. Need advice. (Photo)

I did a severe gynecomastia surgery before 6 months ago. Remove gland and reduce nipple size. I am unhappy from the surgery result. You can see why from the photos attached. I was expected better result. Now I really need advise what to do. Or keep my condition as it is now!!! Please help.

What to Expect After Your Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Surgery

I agree with Dr. Morales, Pre-operative photos would be helpful. While at six months post op, I would generally say "what you see is what you get." I see a potential to refine the outcome with scar revision. You should certainly discuss this with your surgeon, he/she should be willing to address this concern. 

Wendell G. Miles, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy after surgery

Thank you for sharing your concerns - While there appears to be some unfavorable scarring and puckering, the question you may want to ask yourself  Are you happier now than you were before surgery? Can you live with the result without it negatively affecting your life? If revision surgery is an option to make improvements can you afford the additional cost and recovery time? The answers may help you determine whether or not you want to investigate having a secondary surgery. 

If you haven't discussed your concerns with your plastic surgeon, I would recommend doing so. 

Gynecomastia

It would have been nice to see the pro-op photos of the severe gynecomastia.  As for the breast shape, this seems acceptable.  The scars around the areolas are a little visible still, but these most certainly could be revised and improved in the near future.  Express your concerns to your PS.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon