Unknown pregnancy. How will coolsculpting affect a baby?

Did CS 3 weeks ago on thighs ( 3 h one side, 2 h another side). Just found out 9 weeks pregnancy. How will CS affect a baby? Very worried! Thanks

Coolsculpting

Hi,

There are no studies on pregnancy and coolsculpting. I recommend visiting your doctor for a check up and holding off on coolsculpting until after your pregnany and breast feeding. Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your pregnancy. CoolSculpting on pregnant and breastfeeding women is contraindicated as not many studies have been conducted on this. However, the thigh treatments you have already done should not have had any negative impact on you or your baby. I would speak to your treating physician about your concerns and also completely refrain from CoolSculpting until after pregnancy/breastfeeding. All the best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting and Pregnancy

It is not advisible to have Coolsculpting done if you are pregnant and there have been no studies on pregnant women. It is best to consult with the physician who gave you the treatment.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and pregnancy

We do not have much data on CoolSculpting treatment during pregnancy and so I DO NOT recommend CoolSculpting during pregnancy. 

That being said, I do not believe that the multiple thigh treatments with CoolSculpting will have any effect on your baby. 

Congratulations on the pregnancy. I hope this will ease your concern. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Pregnancy and coolsculpting

There are no definitive studies evaluating the use of CS in pregnancy, and so realistically we cannot recommend it during pregnancy. However, the fact is that this is a local treatment only, which is freezing fat to eliminate fat cells, and has no true metabolic effect, and so it should be considered safe. You should discuss the possible results and effects with your treating physician to determine if it is right for you.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Pregnancy

although I would not suggest this during pregnancy it should really have no ultimate effect on your baby as this is only a local treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Congratulations

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your pregnancy! Due to a lack of research on the effects of cool sculpting in pregnancy we cannot recommend it and are unable to accurately predict outcomes. Please see your cool sculpting provider to discuss this further. 

Emily Hartmann, MD
Chico Plastic Surgeon