CoolSculpting 2 weeks before vacation? How long does the bruising and swelling last?

CoolSculpt and Vacation

The bruising and swelling with CoolSculpting is quite common and can last beyond 2 weeks. If you are concerned others will notice, I would recommend holding off on your treatments until after your vacation. However, if you are not concerned about the appearance, the bruising and swelling is typically mild and should not interfere with your vacation activities.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Coolsculpting

Unfortuantely, bruising can last for 2 weeks after the coolsculpting treatments. Also, remember that the expected fat reduction will not be realized for 3 months.Have a great vacation,Dr K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Thank you for your question. The bruising and swelling can last 2-3 weeks. I would advise making travel plans after this period or travelling before. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Bruising and swelling after CoolSculpting

bruising and swelling is certainly a possibility after th CoolSculpting procedure however it is minimal and most cases due resolve within a few weeks. The greater concern would be the development of delayed onset pain which usually occurs a week after the procedure and can last several weeks. Therefore it may not be a good idea to do the treatment this close to the vacation as it can ruin your vacation. And you certainly don't want to be on medications to treat the pain as they have their own side effects and should not be mixed with alcohol. My advice is to wait. 

All the bestDr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculpting side effects are usually very minor and short lived.

In our experience bruising and swelling after CoolSculpting is not common.  The most sensitive area is the lower abdomen.  I would feel very confident that there should be no visible sign of CoolSculpting 2 weeks after treatment. Another method of fat reduction known as Liposonix however does cause significant bruising that can last a few weeks in some patients.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Coolsculpting

Not everyone will having bruising after Coolsculpting.  I find that patients who bruise typically have full resolution of their bruising after 1-2 weeks.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

After Treatment Recovery

Congratulations on getting your Coolsculpting done. Response after treatment does vary from patient to patient, however some swelling, soreness (and not as common bruising) can last up to 2 weeks after therapy. Please talk to your provider for their local experience with patients after treatment.
Best
Dr. Clairborne

Maiysha Clairborne, MD
Atlanta Family Physician

Bruising after the CoolSculpting procedure can last 1-2 weeks. Swelling should improve considerably during the 1st week after the procedure. Getting the procedure done 2 weeks before your trip should not be a problem.

CoolSculpting Results

CoolSculpting can cause pain and swelling with bruising that can last a few weeks. I suggest consulting with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

CoolSculpting Before Vacation?

CoolSculpting is a great way to reduce specific areas of stubborn fat without surgery, through a process that essentially freezes targeted fat cells. While treatment does not involve any recovery or downtime, some patients can experience some swelling, bruising, and numbing and/or tingling in the treated area. How long the aforementioned symptoms last will vary from patient to patient. Most patients’ symptoms resolve completely within 2-3 weeks, however there is unfortunately no predicting how you will respond.

If you are concerned because the treated areas will be exposed on your vacation, you may want to wait until after your vacation for CoolSculpting. Keep in mind that full results are generally seen after about 2-3 months, so you would likely not see any benefit after two weeks anyway. Enjoy your trip!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon