When do you see the final result from an upper and lower lid blepharoplasty?

When should I judge the final result after my upper and lower blepharoplasty?

Blepharoplasty results

It is difficult to assign a time-frame for a "final result" for these surgeries. Each patient heals at a different rate and results vary across the board.
Post-operative bruising typically resolves within 2 weeks. Swelling can sometimes take even a bit longer than this. Skin incisions and soft tissue healing can evolve over several months and up to a year.
The bottom line is that everyone is different and to be patient with the healing process. And always bring up questions and concerns to your surgeon during the post-op period.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Final results after an upper and lower lid blepharoplasty

I always tell patients that the main bruising is for the first 2 weeks, and that the swelling goes down at around 6 weeks. The big mile stones are 3-, 6- and 12- months. The final result is at 1 year. At 6 weeks to 3 months though, you should have a good idea what the results will be like. If you have a concern, make sure to discuss it with your surgeon!

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Swelling

Thank you for your question. Swelling from facial surgical procedures can last 6 months or more. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about what to expect as you heal.

All the best

Final results after a blepharoplasty

The final results after a blepharoplasty can usually be judged in approximately 3 months. By that time all the residual swelling  and bruising has  dissipated and the incision is well-healed.

When to judge final results of blepharoplasty

Thank you for your good question. Many patients judge the results of their eyelid surgery prematurely. The swelling following blepharoplasty can take up to 6 months to resolve and the scars can take up to a year to fully complete the healing process. I hope you find this helpful.
Good luck,

Eyelid Surgery

Eyelid surgery has become one of my most popular procedures. If excess upper eyelid skin is hooding the eye and needs to be eliminated, an incision is made in the crease at the top of the lid and excess fat and skin are removed. The incisions are closed and sutured on the underside of the skin. Typically patients take about a week off from work, however you can be doing daily work and activities as long as it’s not strenuous. Upon waking, you will need someone to take you home because the ointment in your eyes may blur your vision, which you will continue applying for the first few days. To help minimize bruising, keep your head up postoperatively and plan on wearing dark sunglasses for a few days. You may also find that the eyes don't close completely for a few days, but drops can ease the dryness. Overall, patients feel that the recovery moves along rather quickly so my patients usually take a week off from work. However, final results can take up to approximately 6 months. An effective non-surgical option that might benefit you is Thermage, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. The new and improved Thermage is a virtually painless, non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Everybody is different

Scars fade very quickly to become invisible within a few weeks. Your Cosmetic Surgeon will place the upper eyelid scar in the fold of skin and the lower eyelid scar just under your lower eyelashes. He will decide if you need absorbable or non-absorbable sutures, which can be removed at your next appointment in 5 to 7 days time.

Swelling and bruising can generally last about 5 to 7 days after surgery. Your Plastic Surgeon will advise you on the aftercare and will carry out a review in approximately one week.

It is worth waiting up to 3 months though for the final result.

Blepharoplasty results

It can take several months for all the swelling to subside.  Be patient with your results.  Good luck.

Final results for blepharoplasty

Bruising typically lasts 7-10 days and swelling goes away by three weeks.  The final results should be seen by three months.  This is especially true if you have had canthoplasty.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling can take 2-3 weeks to resolve. However eyelid shape and final result can take 2-3 months especially if canthoplasty and or fat grafting is done.