Will voluma filler in the cheekbone make my eye trough look more hollow? (photo)

I recently got 2 syringes of restylane injected. One in each eye and will be doing more in about 2 months because they slightly improved. But next month in December I'm going in to my plastic surgeon for cheekbone injections! Will this make my eye trough look more deep than it already is?

Effect of Voluma on troughs

Depending on where Voluma is placed, I often find that it actually improves the appearance of the tear troughs. This is because a cheek lift can also have the effect of lifting or tightening the skin under the eyes. On the other hand, it would be possible to make the troughs appear deeper if the filler were to be placed non-optimally. Voluma is a great product for cheeks, but expert injection technique is key to achieving a good result. 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will voluma filler in the cheekbone make my eye trough look more hollow?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Well-placed Voluma will not worsen the appearance of a tear trough, and in most instances will improve it by reducing the tension on the lower eyelid that cheek descent can cause.  I prefer to first treat the cheeks in patients pursuing facial rejuvenation or enhancement and then the lower eyelid region because the cheek improvement on the lower eyelid often leads to less product being needed to treat the lower eye hollowing.  Hope this helps.

Voluma consultation

Voluma is a very useful product, as it stays in place, lasts long, and is reversible if one should get an undesirable result.  Cheekbones have a wide area, so decisions can be made.  Higher cheekbone vs. wider cheekbone and higher at which point?  Too high and it can create the situation where the tear trough looks deeper and more shadowed, I've seen complaints on realself about that happening.  When it is placed a bit further back this is not a problem.  Just make sure you do have an expert injector.  You do NOT need to look for someone who uses cannulas.  An expert injector will typically have had the experience of trying both ways, and they use the method they feel they get the best results with, for me, its a needle and not a cannula.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Getting Cheeky with Facial fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill): Sculptra for cheek augmentation

Facial fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill): Sculptra, can be used for cheek augmentation, facial volume and contour and as a benefit may improve the tear trough area. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma and Effect on Tear Trough

Voluma when injected into the cheek bones will have a positive effect on the tear troughs.  I have many patients who I inject in the cheek bones and they need little or no injections in the tear trough afterwards.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Volume's Affect on Eye Trough Area

Assuming that you are seeing an experienced injector who places the Voluma correctly, I think you will actually see an improvement in the eye trough area. Lifting the cheeks reduces tension on the lower eyelid. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Voluma is engineered to refine the cheek region by using the smooth hyaluronic acid contained in the product. It is highly recommended that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.to learn how this injectable - which can last up to 2 years - will be able to provide you natural-looking benefits.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Injections

If you see an experienced injector and proper technique is used, you will see enhancement of your cheeks without a worsening of the tear trough area. The other comment I would make is that two syringes of Restylane in the tear trough region is probably adequate.  This is a very commonly over-injected area.  Good luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and tear trough injections

Thank you for asking about your Voluma injections.

The Voluma injections may help and should not worsen the appearance of your tear trough. Be sure to tell your surgeon of your Restylane injections before sh/e injections the Voluma. This will help planning the Voluma placement.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Cheek injections with Voluma actually help tear troughs usually

The cheek injections are often helpful for the tear trough area. I consider the tear trough and cheek as one correction and usually improve both simultaneously. I don't think that you need to use Voluma for the cheeks. This can be done using Restylane or Restylane Lyft. Make sure these injections are done using cannulas to decrease bruising and swelling.

Steven F. Weiner, MD