How long does it take to not feel pressure or pain on nasal bones after being broken in?

I had nose surgery performed approximately four months ago. I've been experiencing pressure and a bit of pain and discomfort up the side of my nose to my eye (perhaps occular nerve). Is this the result of bones being broken or something else? How long does it take to not feel the pressure or pain on the nasal bones after being broken in? Does this always go away? Does age play a factor in the healing process? I'm a female in my mid 30s.

It Will Go Away Eventually

Pressure or pain beyond the early postoperative period is unusual after rhinoplasty, but I have seen patients with nasal fractures from trauma experience prolonged pain occasionally for many months, or even a year or more, but it has always resolved with time. I would consult with your surgeon, but I am confident that with time it should resolve.

Nasal bone sensitivity

This is not uncommon.  The nose is still healing and the area can be a bit sensitive for many months. It will likely improve with more time. How much more is difficult to say. Good luck.

Discomfort and pressure after rhinoplasty

It is not uncommon for some patients to have mild to moderate discomfort over the nasal bones for several months following rhinoplasty, particularly if osteotomies (bone repositioning) were performed.  Generally this will resolve within the first six months. If sever pain is occurring several months after surgery a follow up visit with your surgeon would be advisable.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Everyone is different

Hello. Thank you for your question. Typically, the pain and discomfort will subside over the course of one year. IF at one year, you are still having major discomfort, I would surggest you have a formal evaluation.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD