Can my nose be shortened so its not as projected? (photos)

I have been advised that not a lot of improvement can be made due to thin skin and cartilage on the tip. The hump can be removed but the tip would stay the same and nostrils would be the same so I think that would make it look more projected (if that's possible). Any advice would be great. Thank you.

All due respect, you've been given some bad advice.

The thin skin and cartilage on the tip mean that you *can* get a lot of improvement. I made a computer morph of your image to show the changes that are possible in expert hands. See the Web reference link below to view the morph.

Your nose is strong in its forward projection away from your face. The tip hangs low. There is a small bump. The tip cartilages are strong, making the tip look prominent and wide. All of these areas can be addressed in a rhinoplasty.

You should know that especially the work on the tip requires very advanced techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle. You must be sure to see before and after photos showing good work narrowing and shaping the tip from any plastic surgeon you are considering.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Dear TiaEliavon,

you ou will be a great candidate for a rhinoplasty addressing all aspect your nose including your nasal 
tip !!

Best wishes

Mr J Tahery 
Consultant Otolaryngologist/Facial Plastic Surgeon
Chester
UK

Jawed Tahery, FRCS
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your Nose Has Great Potential

Thanks for your question. Reducing nasal projection is a common goal in rhinoplasty. Your nasal tip is very prominent, but its shape indicates that the primary problem is very large cartilage, and in fact your nasal skin appears to be of normal thickness. I would consider you a wonderful candidate for a procedure that would reduce your overall nasal size. On my website are several patients who have had their projection reduced. It does require reduction in both "legs" of the tip cartilages, and not every surgeon routinely does this. It is true that there are limits to skin retraction, but I would consider you a wonderful candidate for rhinoplasty, which should reliably give you a major improvement in your large nose. I recommend seeking out a surgeon with experience doing similar rhinoplasty procedures. Best of luck!

Over-Projected tip

The tip cartilages can be reduced in their size. Some contraction, of your thin tip skin, can be anticipated. The bulbosity and over projection will be improved significantly. The dorsal bump  can also be erased. I would do this by a closed technique.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be shortened so its not as projected?

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years and I most humbly disagree with that statement.  From the photos, an open Rhinoplasty to reduce the dorsal hump, reduce the nasal tip projection, thin and refine the nasal tip could all be accomplished.  Thin skin over the tip cartilages is a plus, not a detriment to shaping tip cartilages.  I suggest that you consult with an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon but it certainly "is" possible.  

Nose shortening

In my opinion, it all goes down to your expectations. Most surgeons, including me, would say that your nose could be dramatically improved with a rhinoplasty. The problem is that surgeons already know and accept the specific limitations in a case like yours, while patients have to be clearly told about them. For example, rhinoplasty can make the skeleton of your nose as small as you may want, but since there is no skin removal with the procedure, there are limits to the reduction in size of the nose before losing shape. These limits are stricter when the skin is thicker. Nostrils can also be reduced, but this adds scars outside the nose.
My advice would be to discuss your specific goals with a surgeon that has significant experience of rhinoplasty. The more specific the description of your goals, the easier it will be for your surgeon to tell you if the expectations can be met or not.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You do have a small hump. However, you also have hypertrophy of your tip cartilages. Those cartilages are also separated giving you a groove in the middle of your nose. All these can be solved with a well performed rhinoplasty procedure.

best, 

Shady Hayek, M.D. 
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 
Beirut, Lebanon 

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be shortened so it is not so over projected

Yes certainly the appearance of your nose can be much improved. It is a combination of the septal cartilage and the length of the lower lateral cartilages that give the appearance of both dorsal and caudal overprojection.

By working on the above structures, it is possible to correct the dorsal and caudal overprojection.

Please visit my website and have a look at the rhinoplasty photo gallery to see a few examples of over projected noses that I have corrected.

Kind regards,

Ivo Gwanmesia

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty for the overly projecting nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish de-projection of the overly projecting nose. In addition to decreasing the projection,  the bulbous tip can be narrowed, the dorsal hump shaped down, and the bridge narrowed as well to make the overall nose smaller and less projecting.