1 yr post op Gynecomastia, still ugly & puffy nipples (5 photos before surgery & 6 photos after surgery). Any suggestion?(photo)

I decided for revision surgery and i will go to another private doctor. He said that my previous doctor pulled only 75% gland tissues and not made liposuction and that is the reason of still puffy nipples. and he said there is a risk for new surgery - depression and crater nipple, why? is it such a problem to do to be normal? what is your opinion about that, is lipo required, and how much tissues must pulled out? Could have been worse, please help me and sorry for bad english. Thank you.

When to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery Revision

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

1 yr post op Gynecomastia, still ugly & puffy nipples (5 photos before surgery & 6 photos after surgery). Any suggestion?

Without an in-person exam, it is not possible to be absolutely sure, but the second surgeon is likely correct that there remains some residual breast tissue. This is not an unusual result as excision must be conservative in order to insure blood supply to the nipple and to avoid over-resection ("saucer deformity").  This cannot be easily removed with liposuction; it must be excised.  The risk of over-resection is somewhat higher for the revision as there is little room for error with so little left.  But a carefully done procedure will give you a better result.  Good luck.  Congratulations on your English.  Let's just say it's far better than my Croatian!

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon