6 weeks post TT. I noticed a wire or stitch coming out of my belly button (Photo)

6 weeks post TT. I noticed a wire or stitch coming out of my belly button.. Should I cut this or cover it up and call my surgeon on Monday? (My surgeons post operative care has been less than great)

6 weeks post TT. I noticed a wire or stitch coming out of my belly button

Thank you for your question. It is a suture. If it comes easy you can remove it if not see your PS for removal. Looks like you are healing well.

Suture

It looks like a suture and you should have your surgeon remove the suture as he feels necessary. Best of luck.

Suture Showing After Surgery

You paid your plastic surgeon not only to perform your procedure, but also to monitor you during your recovery. While the suture will likely come out with a gently tug or can be cut flush with your skin, if you have never removed a suture before, it may be prudent to have your plastic surgeon or his/her staff take care of that issue for you.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

6 weeks post op TT. I noticed a wire or stitch coming out of my belly button

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. At six weeks you are well on your way to healing and I would simply cover the area and see your surgeon next week to have the suture removed.  Hope this helps.

Wire or stitch?

No worries. It looks from the photos like it is a monocryl suture, which is a very common absorbable suture.  Take a small pair of scissors and cut out the suture careful, or have someone do it for you.  It is a piece of cake..nothing to worry about.  And sorry to hear about poor post operative care from your ps.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Stitch after Tummy Tuck

It appears from the photo that there is a stitch in place.  I recommend call up the doctors office and make arrangements to see them this week.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Suture from a tummy tuck

The wire you show in the picture appears to be a suture. Most often they dissolve but occasionally your body "spits" it out. It isn't serving a purpose at present and often removing it is warranted. Ask your surgeon and chances are the answer will be the same. No worries as leaving it there for a brief period of time should you want to wait until seen. 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS