Will the Mini Facelift work on a black 55 yr old female? (photos)

I have nasal and smile lines and heavy eyelids I look tired when I'm not. What can I do? Without much pain. I'm a hair stylist self employed. Help!! Does the mini facelift work on black women? I didn't see any .

Facelift options

Thank you for a very interesting question?  While ethnic background should not have a significant impact on which type of surgery you choose (mini facelifts can certainly be done on African American women), from your photographs you may be better suited with a more traditional facelift to address your heavy jowls, nasolabial folds, and sagging skin.  Consider several consultations to better understand your options.  Best of luck.

In a 55-year-old a full facelift is almost always a better option than a mini facelift.

From the photographs I would recommend a full composite rhytidectomy. This will take care of midface and malar fat dissent, excess fat in the neck, platysma banding, and surplus skin.

Facelift options

#facelift and #facialrejuvenation

there are three areas that we look at to address an aging face: 
  1. skin surface
  2. volume
  3. laxity of skin an muscle
These can all be addressed for you to get some rejuvenation. What procedure to perform is assessed on an individual basis. You can absolutely have excellent results with a facelift. It is difficult to tell from one picture whether you are a candidate for full facelift or mini-facelift. In addition, rejuvenation around your eyes would also benefit your heavy eyelid complaint. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

Mini lift

Yes, a properly performed mini lift with SMAS manipulation can help with your deep laugh lines and jowls.  If your neck also has excess skin, you may benefit more from a a full face and neck lift however.   I would also recommend an upper lid blepharoplasty to address your heavy upper eyelids. 

Minifacelift

A mini face lift can work on anyone.  Black women may or may not be at more risk for thickened scars (with any facial surgery) depending on genetics but otherwise there is no contraindication, as long as you are otherwise a candidate.
Additional procedures such as fat grafting, Sculptra, or fillers can give an enhanced result if you and your surgeon decide on a mini-facelift.
Be aware that a minilift gives a little but not a lot of improvement to a droopy loose neck, though.

Its important before any facial surgery to have your weight at the level that you like it for the rest of your life before you undergo surgery and especially skin tightening surgery.

Pain is not that much of an issue with mini-facelift and can be controlled fairly easily with medications.  If you are pain intolerant, be sure to give your surgeon a heads up so he or she can tailor a pain managent program to keep you comfortable throughout your recovery.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Minilift

I think to determione what type of lift a person needs you should go to a board certified plastic surgeon and be examined.If you have minimal laxity then yes and if you want minimal change then yes.It also depends on the condition of your neck.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Mini-facelift vs Facelift

It sounds like you are a candidate for a Mini-Facelift with eyelid lift. My favorite technique is the MACS short scar Mini-Facelift. Developed in Europe, it is the ideal approach for the younger patient, not ready for a full facelift, or patients who desire a less invasive procedure with a shorter recovery time. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Good luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Fillers

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to give an accurate recommendation, but from your photo, I would suggest that you start with a non-surgical facelift which uses Botox and filler to address the early signs of aging. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Facelift

Thank you for the question and a facelift works on all ethnicities if you are a good candidate for the procedure which your one photo appears to indicate you are.  So see some experts in your area and be evaluated in person

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Facelift candidate

Thank you for your question for sharing your photo with us.  A facelift would definitely be an option for you. Ethnicity is less of a concern, with the exception of an increased risk of scarring unfavorably.  I would definitely visit with the board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss with you the pros and cons of doing a mini facelift versus a traditional facelift.  In addition, adding fat grafts or dermal filler's to the nasolabial fold in the marionette region further soften the shadows around the mouth.