Kenalog Injections Possible for Gynecomastia?

I'm a skinny with very mild gynecomastia. Can over-injecting Kenalog injections help cause it to atrophy a little--and thereby avoid traumatic surgery? Or does it not affect the gland tissue at all?

Kenalog Injections Not a Good Technique for Gynecomastia

Kenalog injections would be a bad choice as a technique for Gynecomastia Reduction because it is so imprecise and may not be very effective against the dense breast tissue.

The steroid injection may cause uneven, even disfiguring fat and dermal atrophy (thinning of the skin).

I can understand your wanting to take a novel and non-invasive approach, but Kenalog injections for Gynecomastia Reduction is inadvisable and likely to cause a lot of problems with cosmetic deformity.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Terrible idea.

Thanks for the question -

"Over-injecting" any medication is dangerous.
Steroids can cause tissue atrophy as you've noted but it can cause atrophy to skin and is somewhat unpredictable.

At best you'd get uneven lumpy results, at worse, open wounds, infection and tissue necrosis. Large doses of steroids can also cause systemic problems as well.

Determine the cause of your gynecomastia (usually idiopathic) and consider ultrasonic assisted liposuction as a treatment from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Do NOT use Kenalog for Gynecomastia Rx

Kenalog injections would be a terrible idea and the steroid could even induce further breast tissue growth. If you are seeking non surgical options I think that Vanquish which uses RF energy, or UltraShape that uses ultrasound rather than Cool Sculpt would be the best option though all are off FDA usage.
#gynecomastia
#malebreastreduction

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Kenalog Is Not A Treatment for Gynecomastia

Hi RiveFive,

Thanks for the post. Kenalog will not cause glandular tissue to atrophy. However, improper injection of kenalog can cause the overlying skin to atrophy.  The main use of kenalog is if post-operatively, someone develops scar tissue that is not responding to massage techniques.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

I would not recommend Kenalog injections for the purpose of reducing gynecomastia.  You will achieve better results with proven techniques such as liposuction or direct excision.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Steroid Injections Will Not Manage Gynecomastia

Although steroid injections are very effective in treating adverse scarring, they have no place in the management of gynecomastia. These injections would have a minimal impact on breast tissue, while having a significant potential for complications. Steroid injections might result in atrophy of the underlying fat, but this would be unpredictable. In addition, kenalog injections might result in skin atrophy, hypopigmentation and significant contour irregularities.

If you’re concerned about gynecomastia, surgical intervention is still the best option. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be an appropriate next step. 

Absolutely not

Steroid injection are not the treatment for Gynecomastia and will cause problems. Steroid injections are used the reduce scarring in the incision and occasionally after surgery for deeper scarring.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Kenalog is for scar treatment, not for gynecomastia

Kenalog injections are used to reduce hypertrophic post-operate scarring but are not used as a treatment modality for gynecomastia. Surgical treatment of gynecomastia involves either resection of breast tissue or liposuction, or sometimes both. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who can better explain the options which would be applicable to your individual case.

Kenalog is only adequte for scar reduction

It has a place after gynecomastia surgery if the scarring is prominent ,but not in treating the breast itself for male breast reduction.But any way it was a creative but not a practical idea.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Male breast reduction works.

Hi.

That's not a good idea .If gynecomastia bothers you, you need formal surgical correction by a plastic surgeon.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)