Weak Chin - Jaw Surgery Vs. Chin Implant?

Hi, I have suffered from TMJ pain for about 4 years. I have tried various methods (night guard, soft foods, massage, etc) with no success. I have made an appointment with a mouth doctor. I have a weak/small chin, but not a terrible underbite (jaw wise). I have been considering a Chin implant ever since I discovered it's possible. For TMJ, I understand open jaw surgery is last resort but also that it restructures the jaw and might give me a better chin? Is it wrong to think of open jaw surgery as killing 2 birds with one stone?

Chin implant or mandibular osteotomies will improve weak chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A small to medium-sized chin implant placed through a submental incision would give a stronger chin profile. Mandibular osteotomies or open jaw surgery could also strengthen your chin. However, neither of these two procedures will address nor improve your TMJ issues.
Chin implants are inserted throughout sub mental approach as an outpatient surgical procedure under local anesthesia.
Mandibular osteotomy is performed under general anesthesia and usually requires a 24-48 hour stay in the hospital. If the teeth are out of alignment significantly, this may be the best route to proceed with.
For many examples of chin implants, please see the link below to our chin implant photo  gallery

Chin augmentation

You could have some chin enhancement and usually a chin implant is used.  Occasionally a sliding genioplasty is done but fewer surgeons do these.  I'd look at it as a separate issue from your TMJ.

Jaw surgery and chin surgery

Generally, xrays would allow one to determine the problem with the growth of the lower jaw and the TMJ area. Correcting only the cosmetics of the chin won't address the TMJ or jaw function; so that considering both the bite and the esthetics of the jawline would be preferred. Talk to an orthodontist and  Maxillofacial surgeon for a complete review

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Weak Chin - Jaw Surgery Vs. Chin Implant

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person to discuss your options. During your initial examination, your #chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend alternatives to address your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #face, #neck and #chin procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

Weak chin-jaw surgery vs chin implant

The first thing is you need a correct Diagnosis, do you indeed have a weak chin from a small lower jaw or do you have an isolated weak/small chin. Considering you acknowledge your underbite, you likely have a small/retrognathic mandible. So your best option would be to see a plastic surgeon whom is familiar with tooth/skeletal relationships to discuss your options. Not all plastic surgeons are the same with regards to this topic, do your research and find one who can and routinely performs either corrective jaw surgery or placement of chin implants. In regards to your TMJ pain, your malocclusion (underbite) is likely contributing to this, correcting your occlusion orthodontically would be a good place to start so having a consultation with an orthodontist would be another valuable consult for you to help you decide what your best options would be.good luck

WEAK CHIN - IMPLANT OR SURGERY

In this situation, it is not wrong to think of orthognathic surgery as a two for one type procedure.  Advancing the lower jaw with bone grafts or implants will alter the projection of your chin while possibly alleviating your TMJ symptoms at the same time.  After the jaw augmentation if the chin projection is not corrected sufficiently a chin augmentation can be done at the same time.  However, without a physical exam it is difficult for me to say definitively whether or not you would still require a chin implant in conjunction with the mandibular advancement.  Be sure to confirm that your doctor is a board certified oral maxillofacial surgeon before your consultation.  It would also be helpful to obtain any recent imaging studies you may have from a dentist or orthodontist and bring them to your consultation.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Chin Implant Surgery may improve the appearance of your weak chin.

You seem to be an ideal candidate for Chin Implant Surgery. You would have improvement in the appearance of your chin and jawline. This would also have the added benefit of making your nose look smaller. Chin Implant surgery is relatively inexpensive, and takes less than 30 minutes. Downtime is about a week, and your results are permanent.

I'm not a big fan of sliding genioplasty surgery (surgically advancing your chin-bone forward).

I've attached a link to my Chin Implant photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

If your bite is not contributing to the TMJ pain. Then it is a chin implant and then deal with the TMJ. TMJ surgery will not affect the chin, surgery on the mandible may  improve the profile some.

If occlusion of your teeth, your bite, is right then a Chin implant will give you a outstanding result

Silastic silicone chin implants in the proper patient placed under the on the bone of the jaw give wonderful long lasting results. Make sure your plastic surgeon evaluates you bite and certifies that it is right before going ahead with the chin implant. If you have a bad bite you might be able to have them both corrected at the same time. An extended chin implant in your case will give you a lovely result that will bring a nice balance to your face. I feel sliding genioplasty will work but is much more involved with more likely undesirable side effects.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

TMJ surgery and chin and neck contours

In many instances jaw surgery can accomplish both goals. However, traditionally these are different surgical proceduress. TMj surgery typically does not improve chin projection whereas a SSO for malocclusion or sliding genioplasty can definitively achieve chin enlargement. The use of submental liposuction can enhance the result as well.