Jaw augmentation vs. chin implant?

I thought an implant would be the best option but after thinking about it I'm not so sure it would fix all of my concerns. I'm mainly getting the surgery because I don't like the way my chin/smile look but another issue I have is that ever since I got braces/the herbst device, my bite doesn't feel natural. My jaw always slides around and doesn't have a specific place it sits, and because of that I get a lot of headaches. I'm worried if I just get an implant this won't be fixed.

Doctor Answers 6

Chin augmentation with implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The chin implant procedure involves inserting a Silastic chin implant through a sub mental approach under local anesthesia. The implant will have no bearing or effect on the placement of the teeth, dentition, bite or TMJ. 

Bite doesn't feel right

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should see an craniofacial or oral surgeon before you consider any chin implant or sliding genioplasty. You may have problems with your TMJ or may benefit from jaw surgery. This needs to be addressed first. Hope this helps and best wishes. 

Augmentation Method for Chin/Jaw Enhancement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Whether you get a chin implant, jaw augmentation or a sliding genioplasty, none if these will correct any bite issues. Which one of these approaches is best for a short chin/jawline requires photographic analysis and computer imaging to determine how each would look for your specific facial concerns.

Chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your description of your symptoms, you may have TMJ problem for which, you will have to see an otolaryngologist. As far as your chin is concerned, we will need to see a frontal and profile pictures in order to assess what is needed. Jaw implants are to widen jaws and make them more prominent.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your description, before considering any type of implant, you need to see your orthodontist and or oral surgeon to resolve the problems you are having with your bite.

Dr. Corbin

Implants will not change or bite or dental occlusion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
one important comment to make care is that nothing we can do in this format will be helpful to you because your issues very complex absolutely requiring in person consultation, exam, photography, and even x-rays.

In any case, I do not see how implants would be helpful to you and anyway regarding your bruxism or tension headaches or jaw pain related to malocclusion or an abnormal bite.

Definitely go see a few good oral surgeons before proceeding with anything surgically

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.