Itchiness and Hardness 3 months post gynecomastia surgery?

My areola itches often.when i do massage it appears to be fine for sometime.The doctor says he has removed the entire gland howeevr when i touch with the areola with my fingers i could find a little hardness and gland like substance i have also started building my body by going to gym.please let me know the itchiness reason and is it ok to build body after the surgery.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Hard Lump Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Gynecomastia surgery is an art as well as a science.

If a surgeon over-resects the tissue under the areola, the surgeon may cause a depression.

A small lump under the areola related to fat necrosis or scar formation may get better with more time. In some cases, the surgeon may inject a local steroid into this tissue to remove inflammation and to produce subcutaneous atrophy.

In other cases, fluid can accumulates under the areola. This fluid may need to be removed by needle aspiration.

Consult your surgeon. Best wishes.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Hardness and Itching after Surgery for Gynecomastia

There are two possibilities here and without photos/ exam I could not be definitive.  Most likely this is residual deep scar tissue from the surgery that will need another 3 months or so to resolve.  However there is also the possibility that the skin scar has become hypertrophic.  This will also likely resolve in time but might require steroid injections if it does not improve.

Best bet is to check in with your surgeon.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon