Just had gyno surgery. When can I see result?

I have unilateral gynecomastia. I feel that the doctor only lipo me and he didn't take out the gland. How do I know if he took it out or not? Or maybe I didnt have any gland tissue but always felt I had gland tissue.

The only way to surely treat and resolve the #gynecomastia condition is by direct excision. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia surgery, when can I see results>

Dear deelee213, the best way to know if your doctor removed the gland is to ask him/her directly. If you don't get a straight answer you can always request your records in the facility where it was done. Another way to find out is to look at your incisions. If you have an incision 2" long or more then most likely it was done. If you only have little incisions 1/2 inch long then it wasn't done, you only had lipo. The result should be seen inmediately particularly if you only had it in one side, it should be obvious. There will be some swelling for a few months and the final result may take as much as 3 to 6 months to loose all swelling but the change should be apparent right after surgery

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Gyno Surgery

If you had unilateral gynecomastia more then likely it is gland and excision rather then liposuction may have been a better surgical option. That said I have not examined you. With excision you would see immediate results! Lipo requires more time but there to you should have seen a change.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Results of gynecomastia surgery

Results of gynecomastia surgery can be seen immediately however final results usually take about 3 months. It takes about three months for all of the swelling to go away. Be patient.