6 days after surgery eyes are still extremely swollen. (photo)

My doc removed fat n' cut off skin in the inner corner of my eyes for a caucasian look. I left the country n' the stitches should be removed after 7 days but my eyes are still extremely swollen. I can't believe that it's possible to remove the stitches when it's extremely swollen. I can't even open my eyes fully. I was thinking to wait 3 more days before getting the stitches out. Every one says that the most swelling should be go down after 3 days but I don't see any difference

These sutures need to be removed now and not 3 days from now.

Leaving the suture in longer will compromise the appearance of the incision and potentially cause track marks.  The swelling is normal and at 7 days is unlike to cause a wound to dehisce. Please up date us and let us know know how you did with your surgery.

Swollen post upper lid bleph

You are more swollen than normal for an upper lid bleph, but everyone heals differently.  Ice will not be helpful at this point.  If anything, warm compresses.  You should have someone take out the sutures just in case you are having some extra swelling from a sensitivity to the sutures.  You can also take some ibuprofen to help decrease the edema. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sutures and swelling

The degree of swelling after a blepharoplasty can be related to the amount of manipulation the surgeon does to the deeper tissues. The use of a cautery or hot night can also lead to increased swelling. I would follow your doctor's instruction carefully regarding suture removal. Only s/he know what was done in the deeper tissues. The amount of swelling you have will take several weeks to settle. However it is within the normal range of what is seen. Best wishes,
Alexander Anzarut, MD

Alexander Anzarut, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Swollen eyelids

I would return to your surgeon. A course of oral prednisone would help reduce the swelling quicker. But they need to exam the wound for any evidence of infection before doing this or removing the sutures.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post op sutures removal

First I would ice a lot then would wait a bit longer to have the sutures removed. if the eyelids get more red I would consult your surgeon right away to make sure you are not having an infection. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS

Swelling following eyelid surgery

Thank you for sharing your concerns. You are slightly more swollen than normal, but it does not look like something to be alarmed about. You can wait an extra day or two for suture removal. I hope this helps.  Good luck,