Limitations from cosmetic surgery for Duane's Syndrome? (photo)

I'm 19, I spoke with a plastic surgeon early in high school who said I could benefit from an eyelid lift surgery. She said that the surgery would be problematic as I was a high school wrestler. I forget exactly how it would be problematic but she said something along the lines of it may come undone with that much activity. Since wrestling was important to me I declined the surgery. Now I am out of high school and not wrestling, but am still very active. What are the limitations of that surgery?

Eyes

andrewm97, Not exactly sure what you are trying to change. I certainly would not recommend any eyelid surgery based on this photo alone. you have heavy brows and a strong supraorbital forehead and that could be addressed if that is indeed what is concerning you. See an experienced specialist; one that operates on "only faces". Your Duane's Syndrome should not be a contraindication for surgery but if I were you I would confirm this with your eye physician. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limitations from cosmetic surgery for Duane's Syndrome?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. As the eyebrow drops down, the eyes look smaller you would try ttreatment lıke botox to lift. Your Duane's Syndrome should not be a contraindication for surgery but if I were you I would confirm this with your eye physician.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Heavy Eyes

The eyes are like a picture and the eyebrow is the top of the frame of the picture. As the eyebrow drops down, the eyes look smaller. In your case you may want to consider a browlift. You could try to lift the brows with BOTOX or surgery.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duane's Syndrom

For unknown reasons, the affected eye in Duane's syndrome may have a narrower aperture. Yours seems relatively minor, but a full evaluation of the position, strength and mobility of all affected structures would be necessary in order to make any informed recommendation. Your eye muscle abnormality will, of course, not be changed by anything done to the eyelid or brow.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD