Can an Injury Cause a Dorsal Hump to Form on the Nose?

What causes a dorsal hump to form? I am a female and had a very subtle hump on my nose by the time I was 16. At age 26, it is MUCH worse. I have been hit in the nose several times but I'm not sure if I ever broke my nose. The hump feels like it's all bone. I have been told by an ENT that I have a severely deviated septum with enlarged turbinates. There is not a single known family member with a dorsal hump (all straight or concave nose shapes in my family). What is happening to my nose?

Nose hump from trauma, correction of nose hump

Yes, the hump can be created as result of calcium deposit and bony growth in the area of trauma.

Sometimes septal deviation, nasal valve collapse or turbinate hypertrophy can create congestion or difficulty breathing and these conditions can also be corrected by specific procedures.

I would recommend that you would be seen by a nose specialist with passion for rhinoplasty.

Dr Sajjadian,

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

DrSajjadian.com

Dorsal Hump and Deviated Septum from Trauma

A dorsal hump can arise from overgrowth of bone formed in response to a healing fracture.This trauma may have also caused your deviated septum. Seek advice from a board certified Plastic or ENT surgeon

Trauma may affect dorsal hump

A dorsal hump may form or appear more prominent after experiencing trauma. Occasionally, the aging process can cause change in areas of the body such as the nose. Injuries to the nose may affect the structure or development of nasal bones and/or cartilage, especially since these injuries occurred at a young age. Nose surgery (rhinoplasty) can fix both aesthetic and functional problems, such as a deviated septum which can contribute to respiratory issues. Reduction of an overly prominent dorsum is the most common procedure in rhinoplasty. Although you have already seen an ENT, it is beneficial to schedule an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon to determine a treatment plan for your nose. Since nasal structures are complex, it is important to see a surgeon that is experienced and highly-skilled in rhinoplasty.

Fernando D. Burstein, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Trauma and Dorsal Hump

A prior nasal fracture could cause a dorsal hump to form or worsen an existing hump. However, the hump may have just developed as your nasal bones matured.  It sounds like you would benefit from a septoplasty to correct your deviated septum, turbinate reduction and a rhinoplasty to remove the hump and refine the shape of your nose. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Broken Nose / Dorsum from Injury

You may have broken your nose at the time of one of your injuries.  This will have caused the bones or the cartilages in your nose to become deviated and one may have outwardly protruded giving you this subtle hump on your dorsum.  A proper physical examination will help determine if a deviation has occurred.

Nose trauma can cause dorsal hump

You are correct. The injuries to your nasal bridge are the cause of the problem. The breathing issues are also related to the trauma but may have an underlying allergic cause with the turbinate enlargement. Surgical correction would be helpful for your appearance and function too. Best, Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enlarging dorsal hump

Trauma and nasal fracture can lead to worsening of a bridge hump. This can be from swelling at first, but a callous can form with a fracture that can create a permanent bump.

It is possible to treat the hump during a septoplasty and turbinate surgery. Read my link below for more information about hump treatment.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal trauma can cause a dorsal hump

Yes, nasal trauma can cause a dorsal hump.

• Temporary one if it is due to swelling without nasal fracture or if nasal fracture is not displaced.  No treatment is needed.
  • Permanent if it persists once the swelling from the injury has resolved and is most likely due to a displaced nasal fracture.  Treatment via nasal fracture reduction within 2 weeks can often treat this problem.  If the injury is > than  6 weeks old, an "open reduction" is often needed. 

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injury and nose hump

It's possible for a hump to form on its own but this is also a common result of nasal trauma.  At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I am often able to get insurance coverage for deviated septums or other internal issues and this makes any outside cosmetic adjustments less expensive when done at the same time.  I would recommend a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to start your journey.  Best, Dr K

Dorsal nasal hump may be from trauma!

The short answer to your question is yes, if you had significant trauma to your nose in the past, you certainly can develop a hump. The good news is your nose can be fixed; both the breathing and the appearance can be fixed in one surgery.  I suggest you seek out a facial plastic surgeon. These physicians are trained in the function and cosmesis of the nose.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon