I'm scared - I had my gynecomastia surgery and after 2-3 days I started smoking 3-4 cigarettes per day.

I had my gynocomystia surgery and after 2-3 days I started smoking 3-4 cigarettes per day today is day 4th I smoked and from now I will not smoke but how it will affect me I'm worried please tell me ..it will cause infection or anything else..??? Plzz tell as soon as possible...

Cigarette Smoking Soon After Surgery

Smoking may affect your #healing and the end result of your surgery. It's best to call your plastic #surgeon to better clarify. Additionally, several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments. It's important to implement healthy lifestyle choices to not only prolong your surgical results, but most importantly, to reduce your risk of illness and disease which will impact your health. If you find it difficult to quit smoking, speak to your physician who can provide information and programs that are properly designed to help you quit. 

Post-op smoking

As you may know, the most significant reason not to smoke after surgery is because it can delay your healing due to constriction of the blood vessels.  As long as you don’t smoke any more your risks should be minimal but please keep a close eye on your incision lines when doing your dressing changes and observe for any increase in redness, swelling, drainage or warmth at the site that could indicate the start of infection.  If you notice any changes please contact your surgeon for evaluation of the surgical sites.  Good luck!

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon