How tight should an under arm or compression shirt be for post-op gynecomastia surgery?

I am at about 2 weeks post-op for gynecomastia surgery, I had lipo and the glands removed on both sides. My doctor told me that I can now switch to an underarmor compression shirt that fits snugly. I currently have a large underarmor shirt that feels pretty tight around my stomach area. It feels tight on the chest area as well but not like the compression shirt I've been wearing. Would the large be tight enough, or should I get the medium sized shirt just be safe?

Compression shirts help reduce the swelling but shouldn't feel super tight.  Based on your description, large size would be tight enough.  Good luck.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Post-Op Compression Garment

Thank you very much for your question, and congratulations on your recent gynecomastia procedure. At this point in your recovery process, the mild compression of an Under Armour shirt will help keep swelling at bay and promote healing, while keeping you comfortable, as well. Remember, the Under Armour shirt should be tight but not constricting, so in your situation, the large may be the appropriate size. If you are unsure about the correct fit, or have any further concerns, I recommend contacting your operating surgeon. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

How tight should a compression shirt be after gynecomastia surgery?

Congrats on your recent gynecomastia surgery.  I tell patients to go down 1 size in the compression shirt that they typically wear.  If you wore a large prior to surgery then I would recommend wearing the medium size shirt.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

How tight should an underarm compression shirt be for postop gynecomastia surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your gynecomastia surgery.  Compressions shirts will not impact your surgical results but they will make you more comfortable by limiting your swelling after surgery.  Based on your narrative the Large size should be sufficient to keep you comfortable as only mild compression is needed to have positive effects.  Hope this helps.  

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery. I suggest that the garment be snug but not too tight, potentially cutting into skin that may still be numb.  Remember, the garment is meant to provide support and mild compression, not to be tight to the point where it is painful or harmful.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Use of a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Procedure

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery.
The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.