Hypertrophic scar after Asian eyelid surgery. Will it flatten? (Photo)

It has been 5 months after my asian eyelid surgery and my scar is still lumpy and bumpy, the hypertrophic scar didn't disappear. I have steroid injection and silicon gel, but it still lumpy and didn't flatten completely. I am worried that it will not flatten. Will it flatten? Any other treatment that will help my scar? Will picosure laser help?

Hypertrophic scars after Asian eyelid surgery in young patients

I can't tell for sure but based on your photograph you look relatively young. Under the age of 30. Probably a lot younger. Young skin tends to be a little more reactive and if you naturally have relatively sick oily skin I've noticed that that's associated with a more vigorous inflammatory response after surgery. Five months is a long time what I would suggest is stopping to silicone or scar gel and just clean it normally and moisturize I don't know.  I've found that using gels and ointments for scar treatment sometimes prolong redness and irritation.

less is more and time usually takes care of it.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scars after Asian eyelid surgery

In general, hypertrophic scars are rare after Asian eyelid surgery. However, if you develop one, some of the treatment options include revision surgery, steroid injection, scar gel, laser( I personally don't recommend this) and observation until the healing is completed. Healing usually takes minimum of one year.

Eric In Choe, MD

Upper blepharoplasty scar

Surgical scars can often take 12-18 months to mature fully, so some bumpiness at 5 months can be expected. If you are already 5 months out and still have redness, a mild steroid cream should help reduce residual inflammation and help the healing process.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic Scar

I would suggest continued treatment of the scar.  I would consider laser treatment and a full evaluation by an oculiplastic surgeon who may be able to offer other treatment options.  Good Luck.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon