Is it a bad idea for a 3rd nose surgery?

The first nose surgery I had was a rhinoplasty because It was broken. Then It got broken again and I had to get a septoplasty to fix the airways because they were really crooked and I was dumb to not do the rhinoplasty at the same time and now it is a year later and I'm thinking about doing the rhinoplasty to straighten the hump on my nose. Should I be worried about my nose getting deformed from a second rhinoplasty?

Multiple nasal surgeries

Revision rhinoplasty is usually more complicated than primary rhinoplasty surgery. There is not a specific number of surgeries which make the risks go significantly higher or outcomes be worse. The most important thing, as the other surgeons mentioned, is to find a surgeon who has experience with revision rhinoplasty and can explain, in detail, what they believe is possible for your specific case. The use of computer imaging is important so you are both on the same page and working to the same goal.

Best of luck

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 3rd Rhinoplasty Surgery OK?

It is appropriate for you to be cautious about a 3rd nasal procedure. However if you work with an experienced surgeon who specializes in revision surgery you should do well. Careful pre-op evaluation and planning will be critical for you to achieve the desired result.

Third rhinoplasty for crooked and broken nose

Since this is your third  nasal surgery, its best to seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for best results. The crooked nose is straightened with osteotomies of the nasal bones to straighten them and sometimes a cartilaginous spreader  graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage. For many examples of  crooked nose repair, please see the link below

Another revision rhinoplasty is possible

In general, it is possible to have another revision rhinoplasty. However, revision rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging of all cosmetic surgeries, and each time a rhinoplasty is done, it becomes increasingly complex. Keep in mind that there are many factors involved, so your nose may not turn out exactly the way you want the third time either. If you do decide to have another rhinoplasty done, it is essential to look for an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist who has a strong aesthetic sense and the talent and experience to refine the nose as needed. Ask for before and after photos of previous patients. And be sure to get a second or even third opinion.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

3rd rhinoplasty procedure

Revision rhinoplasty should always be performed after extensive evaluation to make sure that you are a good candidate. Generally speaking, the skin tissue envelope, cartilages and nasal bone must be carefully evaluated to make sure that revision surgery can be performed. You also need to consider the expertise of your surgeon, as some plastic surgeons have more experience with revision surgery. Finally you need to make sure you have reasonable expectations about surgery. Overall, it sounds like you have had one external surgery and one internal surgery. If above mentioned factors are favorable, then there are no red flags in proceeding with surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD