I have in my nose something called "The PDS Plate" does it increase the swelling?

I have learned recaintly that in my previous rhinoplasty the dr used something called PDS plate on my nose without me knowing anything about it. Please doctors tell me what is this thing ? And I'm looking to have a revision rhinoplasty, is this plate going to effect the success of the 2nd surgery ? My nose now after 4 months is still very stiff and hard and leaning to one side which it wasn't before.

PDS plate

A pds plate is an absorbable piece or material that can be used to help with septal deviations and for spreader grafts. They usually resorb over time as they are supposed to.

PDS Plate in the Nose

PDS flexible plate is a sheet made up of the same material that is often used as an absorbable suture. PDS is the material and it should dissolve within 6 months. When it is used as a plate, PDS can be used to help repair the septum. It is a tool that is available to us when performing rhinoplasty. 

Having the the pds plate in your nose should not negatively affect your long term results. In fact, if your doctor used it in your nose, one must believe that it was to benefit you and get you the best possible results. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard to know if this is a factor.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

PDS Flexible Plate in rhinoplasty

The PDS Flexible Plate is a absorbable sheet of material made from the same compound (polydioxanone) as a commonly used suture in rhinoplasty. It is typically dissolved in approximately 6 months and should not impede additional surgery.

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon