I have under eye bags when I'm smiling. Can Voluma help?

When I smile, bags form under my eyes, I can't stand it. Can voluma injections under my eyes get rid of the bags when I smile?

Voluma for bags under eyes

"Bags" under eyes can be from a fat pad that cushions the eyeball (underneath they eyeball) protruding as you age, a condition that is usually genetic. Protruding fat pads can only be fixed surgically, currently. If the "bags" under your eyes are due to loose skin, the loose skin can be tightened with either Fraxel® or a radiofrequency laser such as Viora Reaction®.

Miami Dermatologist

Voluma fillers for the face

Voluma can add volume to the cheek area and increase projection of the cheek apex. This may or may not improve your eyelid bags. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Voluma

Thank you for your question.  There are several different options for treatment under the eye area.  We would encourage you to set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon's office to see which product or procedure would correct your under eye concern. 

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Under Eye Bags Treatment

Voluma can help somewhat with under eye bags, depending on the skin laxity of the patient. For the best results, the under eye bags may need to be also treated with a neuromodulator like Botox. The non-surgical, at-home treatment Neotensil can also help reduce the appearance of under eye bags. It is best to consult with your dermatologist to determine the best treatment for you. 

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Undereye bags when smiling

I personally do not believe that Voluma is a good choice for under eye bags. For bags that are present when you are not smiling, Restylane is an excellent choice.For bags it only appeared during smiling, fillers are not a good answer.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye bags ...

Voluma is a product that is great for filling areas that require a lot of volume, such as the cheeks. For under eye areas I prefer to use thinner products, such as Juvederm Refine or Teosyal Redensity ll.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Voluma for correction of eye bags.

I love Voluma. It is a great product but not for the eye bags. Voluma is a very stiff product that lasts for a year to a year and a half. Because of the stiffness it is usually used for lifting deep creases such as the nasolabial creases or for volumizing the cheeks. The lower eyelids are the hardest areas to correct. The skin is thin so products (especially stiff products) tend to show easily so thinner products are better such as Beloterro or Vobella. The hyaluronic acids can also occasionally give a bluish colouration or augment a pre-existing bluish colouration to the skin. Occasionally these can swell intermittently and may be related to your dietary salt ingestion as these products are somewhat hydrophillic (like to absorb water). Placing your own fat (micro-fat grafting) in the groove between the eyelid fat and the cheek fat is also an option. It is surgical but can give longer lasting effects without the bluish colouration and interrmittent swelling.

Ross Horton, MD, FRCSC
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Voluma is a fabulous injection for the mid face to add volume and rejuvenate the face.  I have found that injecting the cheek area has improved the area under the eyes as well.  There are times when I also need to inject in the tear trough as well. In these cases I use Belotero or Restylane depending on the depth of the tear trough. If the bag is significant from excess skin and fat it may need to be surgically removed.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in cosmetic injections and Voluma.

Ask about Juvederm Ultra XC for your under-eye bags.

I think you may be confused about which dermal filler is used to correct under-eye bags. Allergan produces a number of hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers that are formulated to address different concerns. Juvederm Voluma is used to treat loss of volume in the mid-face and specifically the cheeks. However, Juvederm Ultra XC is an ideal filler for restoring volume to under-eye tear troughs in order to decrease the appearance of bags under the eyes.

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Volume for under eye bags? Maybe

Without a picture or examination,  it is impossible to say if voluma is right for you. Sometimes enhancing the cheeks will help the under eye area. However,  if you simply need filler in tear trough or around the eyes, Restylane is probably better. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD