How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost?

What are average rhinoplasty cost? Does the price of a nose job vary by state like some other plastic surgeries?

Cost of a nose job

Templeton

I would agree with other comments on this topic. However, I would add one more important point. Rhinoplasty is different from most other types of surgery.

The best rhinoplasty surgeon are artists - they are capable of combining the logic, step by step left brain thinking required with most surgeries with the artistic right brain skills required to create a beautiful nose. This point can not be underestimated. This is why you must look at before and after photographs on the surgeon's website.

Experience, time in the operating room, complexity and sometimes even the surgeon's reputation does not always produce beautiful noses. It is similar to asking the question how much does an artist's painting cost? I could answer this by saying that it depends on the cost of the paint, the canvas, the brushes, the amount of time it takes to paint, the rent costs at my studio, etc. Is this what makes the difference between a da Vinci painting and one by an art student?

Make sure you look at fifty or more before and after photographs of each surgeon your are considering.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a procedure not to pick on price

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult procedure in cosmetic surgery.

It can have a high touch up rate as well. There are a lot of surgeons performing almost the exactly same operation on each person.

The best advice I can give is to pick a surgeon that has had ear, nose, and throat training or a surgeon that does a nasal operation every week. Surprisingly, few do.

Cost of rhinoplasty

I agree with all the above.  Rhinoplasty is the single most complex operation in cosmetic or reconstructive surgery.  However, skill and technique and time to perform the operation vary dramatically.  The most important choice to make is the experience of the plastic surgeon peforming the operation.  If you view their website and rhinoplasty is the 12th listed procedure behind breast reconstruction, breast lifting, mommy makeovers and tummy tucks...DO NOT GO TO THAT SURGEON.  The first 3 procedures are what are peformed routinely.  As someone who takes care of 300-350 rhinoplasty patients a year and treats over 1/3 revisions from other surgeons this is a critical decision point.  With that being said the procedure should hover around 3500-5000 for a primary procedure and no more than 7000 for a revision.  In Scottsdale, AZ, Beverly Hills or Manhattan this should hold true.  If the price floats much above this in the 15,000 dollar range...keep getting more opinions until you find the better fit.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Cost of Rhinoplasty

Great Question!

The nose is the central feature of your face and it is important to have your rhinoplasty surgeon with passion for this artistic procedure.

The cost of rhinoplasty depends on the complexity or difficulty of your nose and the level of experience/ expertise of your surgeon.

In my practice this could range from $6,000 to $15,000. Revision rhinoplasty cases typically cost more.

If the nostrils need to be narrowed it may cost much less than when major reconstruction work including the use of ear cartilage, rib cartilage, fascia graft, septoplasty and rhinoplasty are involved.

It is very important to get your primary rhinoplasty by someone who is passionate about getting the best result possible. As the saying goes, the first time is the best time to get the beast possible result and to get it right.

Also you want to have any functional problems such as difficulty breathing through your nose and recurrent sinus infection corrected at the same time by an expert!

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Cost reflects surgeon's work and philosophy

I can only speak personally.  In the Boston area, nasal surgery prices vary, but what is the surgeon doing to your nose?  If the rhinoplasty is just a reduction, that is a 30-45 minute operation and costs less.  But reduction rhinoplasty does not solve many nasal problems, and so surgeons have added grafts to the operation to improve support and contour and to protect your airway.

But  if you are having septal surgery for your airway, spreader grafts (to support your internal valves and make sure the sides of your nose line up), a radix graft (to maximize your nasal proportion), and tip grafts (to improve tip projection and contour), the length of the operation will double to triple, but the result will be much better.  That time and complexity costs more.

I perform many of these grafts on my patients, and do rib and ear cartilage grafts several times a week because of the patients that I treat.  That familiarity with techniques allows any surgeon and his or her staff to improve efficiency and therefore stay affordable.  I personally do not want to be affordable only to wealthy patients, and so have always tried to keep my fees moderate.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost?

A cosmetic rhinoplasty costs between $6000 and $7000 in the Seattle area depending upon what needs to be done and the type of anesthesia. The cost can be higher in certain areas and if you have special problems that will require more time and work to accomplish the look you want. It can also be lower in some areas. Be sure to look carefully at your surgeon’s before and after photos, especially the photos of any redo’s. Quality revision results are one of the great ways to determine if the surgeon you are considering does great work. Many will talk about experience and numbers but a quick look at any posted revision rhinoplasties tells you much more about the quality of their work.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

There is not a specifc cost for rhinoplasty...

The rhinoplasty procedure can be very different from person to person depending on what has to be done and if the procedure is a first time rhinoplasty or a revision. A first time rhinoplasty typically costs around $6000 - $7000, and a revision may be $7000 - $9000 if you include the anesthesia. These numbers are only rough estimates and will vary in different regions of the country. In New York City or Beverly Hills the totals may be higher because the costs to run the practice and surgery center are significantly higher. The most important thing to look at is the experience of the surgeon.  We perform rhinoplasty every week which will allow us to provide more consistent results than a practice that only does it occasionally. It is important to see a lot of photos from the surgeon you are considering, and you should have trust and confidence in that person. If that is the case, the price is usually appropriate.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty costs vary by difficulty and surgeon experience

Ahhh...the million dollar question. What will a Rhinoplasty cost. No two noses are the same and as such you should expect to be treated as an individual who's requirements are unique. This means that the fees you'll pay for your Rhinoplasty will vary as well. However, in my opinion, there are some generalizations.

1. Primary or first time Rhinoplasties will be less expensive then Revision Rhinoplasties that are definitely more work and much more difficult for the plastic and cosmetic surgeon to perform.

2. The more experienced, in general, the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, the higher the cost for your Rhinoplasty. If the surgeon has a thriving, busy and high profile practice the fees will most likely be higher than if you visited a surgeon who is just starting out.

3. The more difficult the Rhinoplasty: which means the more areas of the nose that need to be manipulated during the procedure...like the tip, upper lateral cartilages, nasal bones , septum and turbinates...onlay grafts, man made grafts, ear cartilage, rib, bone, fascia etc. the higher the cost for your procedure.

I've always advised potential plastic and cosmetic surgery patients, including Rhinoplasty patients to use my simple 4-step guide to selecting your surgeon which can be fould on my surgical website by clicking on "How to Choose Your Plastic Surgeon".

I will leave you with a couple parting thoughts:

1. If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

2. Strive for the best, because second best may be a setup for a revision surgery at much higher costs.

Rhinoplasty usually costs about $5000 - 6000

It is pretty much all over the map. Unfortunately with higher prices you are not always guaranteed a better result. The average price in Seattle is $4500 - $6500.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Cost of a rhinoplasty

The cost of a rhinoplasty varies depending on the following factors:

Complexity- The more complex your case, the more it will likely cost.  This is the reason that revision rhinoplasty procedures tend to cost more than primary rhinoplasty procedures.

Geography-  Everything is more expensive in New York.  This local cost of living (higher office rent, overhead, etc) translates to a higher cost reflected in your rhinoplasty.  

Insurance-  If there is a concomitant functional issue, this can lead to a lower overall cost for the patient if insurance is applied.

The average cost for a rhinoplasty typically ranges from $3500-$6500 nationwide.  It is important to note that while cost may be a factor in being able to afford surgery, it should not dictate what surgeon you chose.  A higher priced surgeon does not necessarily mean or guarantee a better outcome or even mean that the surgeon is better.    

On the other hand, choosing an unqualified surgeon simply because they are the  lowest price will often lead to an overall higher cost.  If your result is unsatisfactory and you require a revision surgery, this will often have a higher cost than your primary rhinoplasty would have been.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon